Plan Rotation?

ACADuser

Working on a plan & decided it did not fit well on the layout sheet.

So i use the plan rotation tool to rotate the plan, sweet.

BUT now CA still thinks the plan is in the original rotation.

When i add text it is rotated to the original rotation.

When I added Front & back elevation they are orientated to the original rotation.

Did I do something wrong or is this a half baked function?

Where is Glenn? He took off on a walkabout and

hasn't been heard from since. He would say "don't

use the "Rotate Plan View" tool to rotate your plan.

You got it Rich.

Don't use Rotate Plan View.

I have just got back into civilisation after having travelled across the remote north Australia by 4 wheel drive.

It's nice to sleep in a bed for a change.

Working on a plan & decided it did not fit well on the layout sheet.

So i use the plan rotation tool to rotate the plan, sweet.

BUT now CA still thinks the plan is in the original rotation.

When i add text it is rotated to the original rotation.

When I added Front & back elevation they are orientated to the original rotation.

Did I do something wrong or is this a half baked function?

Definately half-baked.  Now to state the ovious, pay attention to intial orientation of what the project looks like in layout, and make your adjustments then if you can; that being said occasionally you just have to rotate, and you do so knowing there will be extra work involved.

I assume Glenn's don't rotate plan advice is predicated on the save yourself from the grief of extra work.  I have never noticed any deliterious effects in plan from doing so, just lots of text manipulation.

About rotating a structure, I'll tell you about a plan I did about 2 months ago. I placed a house and a separate barn on a property. The house and barn had siding. After the plan was about done, the owners said they wanted the house left alone but wanted the barn turned at a 90 degrees and wanted to have batt & board siding on the barn instead of siding to give a more rustic look. So I did an edit area (all floors) and rotated the barn. Since I sometimes I do the 1x4 batts manually (for better 3D), I already knew what was going to happen. I do the batts by placing one and then transform/replicating it over on the rest of the wall. I usually do a test by copying one over to be sure I'm going in the right direction. once I know, I copy the rest of them. When you rotate the building, you're messing up the orientation in Chief of the X and Y directions. This is why I don't rotate a building unless I have to. I realize this has nothing to do with text but it is something that will probably happen when using the transform/replicate tool on a building that has been rotated. There were no problems using the T/R tool on the house because I didn't rotate it.

I have said it before, but it is worth saying again.

Rotate Plan View does not rotate the plan on the drawing sheet (although it appears to) - it actually rotates the whole drawing sheet, and the plan with it.

That means (among other things) that the coordinate system also rotates.

It's easy to see that complications can occur!

Better to use one of the other rotation methods instead.

• 6 months later...

After reading the posts above I'm still confused about how to rotate an entire plan. I get rotating the view doesn't solve my problem.

My clients started out with a draftsman using CAD so I his file as a starting point. I should have started from scratch - would have taken me 30 minutes at most. The draftsman didn't orient the house the way I normally do. I find clients understand plans better when the front door is at the bottom of the page.

All of the text boxes have rotate with plan checked so once I get the plan rotated I should be fine. 

After reading the posts above I'm still confused about how to rotate an entire plan. I get rotating the view doesn't solve my problem.

My clients started out with a draftsman using CAD so I his file as a starting point. I should have started from scratch - would have taken me 30 minutes at most. The draftsman didn't orient the house the way I normally do. I find clients understand plans better when the front door is at the bottom of the page.

All of the text boxes have rotate with plan checked so once I get the plan rotated I should be fine. 

Use Edit>Edit Area

Draw a marquis around your entire plan and then rotate it.  Easy peasy.

I rotated plan 180 degrees as suggested and that worked but the text didn't rotate with it even though I have rotate with plan checked.  So I tried using a new text box and it appears upside down as well. 

Met with clients today and it was really bothering the husband that the plan was upside down to him.