X-7 Not Starting Anywhere

RobUSMC

Go to solution Solved by KirkClemons,

The Chief Architect  website became slow this morning.  Chief Architect the program should have launched for you, but, there may have been a ~30 second delay while the program tried to contact the website.  And, as Joe pointed out, disconnecting from the internet would have sped up the launch.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

I had the same issue yesterday morning. (~30 seconds is an eternity on a computer)  I thought it was my computer acting up!

Rebooted several times, checked task manager and the process was running but not the application.

It finally opened after shutting the computer off and I walked away cursing till about 8:15 central.

I like Jon's thought about a fail safe,

How about a password access with a challenge question as backup?

Bit strange as I thought CA only needed to Check In  once every 14 days (security) , unless you are activating/deactivating of course , so this "outage" really shouldn't have been an issue .

M.

Not sure where you got '14 days', but CA validates every time the software is launched.  Maybe if you keep it running for 14 days?

jon

The software checks for internet every launch. If no internet is available, it just launches in offline mode. It can do this for 14 consecutive days before you will need to reactivate online again.

The issue that spurred all this is that our server encountered a problem on on part of the system. The software would still launch but it had to time out on the primary server before it attempted to access the secondary address.

Yesterday, if you waited for that timeout the program would eventually launch.

We are adjusting that timeout, and will come up with a plan to make that timeout less likely to be necessary in the future.

that may have changed in X6/X7 , I run into issues with X5? working out of town with no internet and CA wouldn't open , back then you couldnt update etc online by phone either by logging into my account  , so I had to wait till I had inet access again log in and then I was ok again  , I called Support and I think they told me every 14 Days but perhaps it was 10 ? but at the time they couldn't help me at all either.

EDIT   I guess it hasn't Kirk just posted above me at the same time.....

that may have changed in X6/X7 , I run into issues with X5? working out of town with no internet and CA wouldn't open , back then you couldnt update etc online by phone either by logging into my account  , so I had to wait till I had inet access again log in and then I was ok again  , I called Support and I think they told me every 14 Days but perhaps it was 10 ? but at the time they couldn't help me at all either.

EDIT   I guess it has Kirk just posted above me at the same time.....

It's always been this way, but ideally, you would only see this if you were offline for more than 2 weeks. In this case a server issue caused multiple people to see a delay at the same time, but they were never truly offline, they just needed to wait longer to see Chief launch. However, the timeout is 5min. so understandably, most people assumed the program was locked up. So, in short, we do have a backup in place, it just takes the program 5min. until it will try the backup option.

We'll be looking into this for future releases.

We had a problem with our Authentication server today.

The problem is unrelated to the previous problems with the main chief site.

We first received a problem notification at 3pm at 4 the cloud service notified us the affected server was to be retired. We immediately made the decision to do a relaunch on new hardware which took us down for a few minutes.

We sincerely hope these server problems are behind us.

We will be working to continue to make our systems more reliable.