door & window framing

Dennis_Gavin

Copied and relocated door and window, deleted troubled wall units. Placed door 1st and framed, then windows. If windows are moved with arrow keys you can

see doublers disappear. Wider spacing might be issue.

post-4392-0-39407800-1437401418_thumb.jpg

post-4392-0-58831900-1437401420_thumb.jpg

I copied and pasted your orig door in various locations. Notice it has only 1 trimmer and 1 king stud on common wall (what you wanted) but anywhere on exterior wall we get 2 trimmers and 1 king stud. Also copy and paste your slider door and only 1 trimmer there too. French door requires more structural support due to it costing more, lol.

post-4392-0-53852000-1437405811_thumb.jpg

hi Dennis , had a play with your plan , I set each window and the door to have 1 trimmer in the Framing Tab and then made sure there was enough room between the units for the framing to generate after also setting the RO spacing for side to 0" . CA needs 4 15/16" to generate 3 studs minimum even with RO at 0" it seems , not 4 1/2"  .

It looks a little bit screwy in Plan view but in 3D it looks fine and it Mulls nicely. (uncheck "single hole" for framing to show)

post-315-0-94653500-1437594776_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-86578900-1437594785_thumb.jpg

Sommar Porch_MH.plan

Hi Mick - Wanted 2 studs between door and window. I have moved on having done it manually but<br />was wondering if I was missing something. My next idea was to have 0 trimmers for the door and<br />two for each window. Have not gone back to try that yet.<br />Thanks for having a look.

No worries , was just a little Brain teaser that CA likes to throw out there to keep us from having to visit Luminosity  :)   and I thought I might learnt something along the way

I misunderstood what you call a Trimmer , here we call it a Jack Stud and it is nailed to the Full height (King Stud) to support the header and I though you wanted 2 + the King Stud.

CA wont allow 0 Trimmers , and it appears highly dependant on the spacing how it frames , the left side of the door generates the double stud at 3" in My Plan but the right side wont until it has 3 7/8", then it gives a King Stud ,while the left side gives two trimmers, just another one of those weird CA inconsistencies' that drives everyone crazy ...  though I assume the opening would be framed with one long header with the Trimmers underneath ?  but Mull the Units and that really confuses CA ,single hole or not... but the Trim looked better unmulled too especially on the inside but I didn't play too long with that.

post-315-0-35594300-1437666649_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-12006600-1437666662_thumb.jpg

M.

No worries , was just a little Brain teaser that CA likes to throw out there to keep us from having to visit Luminosity  :)   and I thought I might learnt something along the way

I misunderstood what you call a Trimmer , here we call it a Jack Stud and it is nailed to the Full height (King Stud) to support the header and I though you wanted 2 + the King Stud.

CA wont allow 0 Trimmers

M.

That's true - but it shouldn't be so.  Sometimes I frame a window using Simpson Header Hangers to eliminate the Trimmers.  Chief should be able to allow "0" trimmers.