Roof tools or poly shapes

johnny

I am working through my project - slowly. 

Anyway, I was looking for advice on the roof.  A modern house with a "flat" roof that will have some edging details.  Is there any reason I would want to fuss with the roof planes, or am I fine using poly tools to create the roof shapes?  My plan was to model the roof with shapes and skip the roof tools.  Part of the issue is I am still designing through this plan in my mind, so messing with roof tools seems like it will be a lot of trial and error to get what I want.

Thanks for any advice. 

roof_q.jpg

Thanks for the comments - and the recommend on how to do the parapet walls.

What about the fact I won't have a "ridge" and my perimeter will be all leading edges of the roof?

Johnny, flat roofs are what we do here whether a slab roof or very small pitch roof. The roof tool is very flexible and for example, i have attached the pic of a house I am working on and still under modeling, and the final look may be totally different from this one. I use chief for idea analysis. and don't forget using the shadow boards for various purposes. The other image is an office building with slab roof I have done during the x2 era.

post-2517-0-95525900-1437175663_thumb.png

post-2517-0-19296800-1437175676_thumb.jpg

Nice, Yusuf. These images have post work done in Photoshop or similar editing software, right? I can't get Chief to give me the clarity you show with the nice soft touch in the house, but I am also not an expert in the rendering department.

Mike

I think that others have focused on the roof, but the parapet wall can be done in at least five or six different ways, depending on what the cross section should look like.  This is a place where Chief offers a lot of options;  none of which are work arounds.

Another option - if you need to have parapet walls:

Just make another floor (no ceiling, no roof, room height(s) to match the parapet height)

Also, if you make those parapet walls a solid railing wall , it will give you a wall cap.

Larry with the roof selected you need to use the break tool in the right click menu or the lower left menu, not the one in the upper ribbon menu.

Larry was trying to use the wall break tool that only works for walls. The 3 key is, the break line tool,

Which parapet wall method bet work for framing in CA?

That depends on if you want the wall to balloon frame from the floor to the top of the parapet, or not.  More info on how you want it to be.. Lots of different ways to do it.

Larry with the roof selected you need to use the break tool in the right click menu or the lower left menu, not the one in the upper ribbon menu.

Yeah, haven't used that tool for 10 years since I discovered the 3 key. Thanks, I'll remember that next time so as not to distract from the purpose of the video.

Balloon framing - or not.

Larry, thanks for the video, I was just commenting for the O.P., he seemed a little confused. I think the reason that the balloon frame stopped where it did was b/c , I believe you used a roof plane, and a balloon frame at the below wall ,will only take you up to the roof, if you had used a floor system as the roof, it would have gone full height. But if you have to create a slope on that roof, use a roof and do it using the go thru floor method like you did in the video.