How's business out there guys?

dshall

And we don't go into the details like most people here do...

We don't show framing, electrical, HVAC, plumbing...we don't do cross sections (unless required), our elevations are quite basic, etc...  That's not to say that we CAN'T do that stuff.  We just figure with the "free" service...you're going to have to do a little "fill in the blanks".  Besides...the subs wouldn't pay attention if we showed them on the plan anyways.  In this area, the subs have laid all that stuff out for so long that they just hammer it all out with the homeowner.

That's why it will be interesting to go to the UGM.  To see how others do things, and hopefully get some good ideas.

I've attached a PDF of what a typical "final" looks like (this actually is for construction use, but I just put the disclaimer there...juuuuuust in case :)).

Final.pdf

40 years ago you could get a permit for a small house in San Diego with just:

Site Plan

Floor Plan(s)

Foundation Plan

Roof Plan

4 Elevations

1 Section

You didn't need anything else except maybe a couple of notes and a typical foundation detail. 

Today it's a totally different ball game.  

To be honest I think we have to fight back and have homeowners do the same.  I am not big on just taking whatever

"those in charge" throw out.  Frankly I am sick of it.  I think NAHB, NARI and the communities we live in have to

voice their opinions to the politicians and say enough is enough. Now who has the ba||s to do it?

I have been fighting regarding having to pay a gross receipts tax in advance each year and so far I have not for several years.

Anyone else pushing back?

40 years ago you could get a permit for a small house in San Diego with just:

Site Plan

Floor Plan(s)

Foundation Plan

Roof Plan

4 Elevations

1 Section

You didn't need anything else except maybe a couple of notes and a typical foundation detail. 

Today it's a totally different ball game.  

40 years ago I was not even a thought!  :lol:

Here's a little niche' that got dropped in my lap and may be something that someone in another area could take advantage of.

A mid-size appliance dealer in our area was looking to update one of their display kitchenettes for Jenn-Air.

Using the CA bonus library i was able to get model specific appliances and create the attached rendering to send to the corporate decision makers.

BAMM. got the design build for that kitchen as well as the Dacor kitchen adjacent.

When the other suppliers saw the new look kitchens they did't want to be left behind with outdated looks.

You guessed it - design and remodel of Bosch- Thermador and GE Monogram going on right now.

They all have quality 3d symbols that are model specific if you know where to look and the appliance reps love to see their stuff in the renderings.

The upside for the retailer is the manufacturers are paying for it.......win win

post-235-0-54731600-1437511796_thumb.jpg

40 years ago I could develop the concept, draw it on paper with pencils (yes we used those in the "stone age), usually had few, if any, changes, and went to the blueprint machine to print. Anyone remember those? It was a more simple time. I love the tools we have today, but I wonder if the tail is wagging the dog?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mike

Here's a little niche' that got dropped in my lap and may be something that someone in another area could take advantage of.

A mid-size appliance dealer in our area was looking to update one of their display kitchenettes for Jenn-Air.

Using the CA bonus library i was able to get model specific appliances and create the attached rendering to send to the corporate decision makers.

BAMM. got the design build for that kitchen as well as the Dacor kitchen adjacent.

When the other suppliers saw the new look kitchens they did't want to be left behind with outdated looks.

You guessed it - design and remodel of Bosch- Thermador and GE Monogram going on right now.

They all have quality 3d symbols that are model specific if you know where to look and the appliance reps love to see their stuff in the renderings.

The upside for the retailer is the manufacturers are paying for it.......win win

Nice job Rob. Way to think outside the box and create work for yourself.

• 1 month later...

This is all great to hear! Ive been in the construction industry for a while mostly framing and a couple years drafting, but just started a design/drafting business of my own. I'd love to be able to just draw up plans and do renderings instead of swinging a hammer in -20 or 110 temps. I've done a couple homes and love it. Not trying to get rich, would just like to stay busy. I think the work is there, I just have to get my name out and find it. I was thinking of sending a business flyer to local contractors and builders. How did you guys get hooked up with contractors?

Really glad to see everyone is staying pretty busy.

Hillside-

A few tips for this forum- someone else will throw this out so I might as well be the first.

Create a signature that has your name and the version you are using.

Also your location doesn't hurt.

Lot's of good people on here- most are happy to help if they feel that you are in this for the long haul.

i started very similar to you- framed custom homes for 20 years or so.

Most of the time it was great but shoveling snow to sheet roofs and sweating it out in 100+ wears you down.

Word of mouth got me going and my reputation as a quality builder who understood complex framing projects opened a lot of doors for design.

Many builders and clients appreciate a designer with years of hands on experience. It can really help in being efficient in design with materials and labor costs.

If you have the confidence to represent yourself in that light the opportunities will  be there. 

It's great to hear that everyone is doing great.  I am amazed at the lack of detail that you can get away with in your area.  I wish I had it so easy.  In fact I remember when I could just show a floor plan, elevations, section view, site plan.  Now I have dozens of details that I must show.  I have learned to calc. the negitive and positive pressure of the window requirements and door,  shear wall design with nailing patterns for each and this is just the begining.  Florida has gone over the top and made it difficult and expensive for any plans.  I do mostly remodels and the work keeps comming.  

Just starting my business I've done a few plans for custom homes but in really rural areas that don't require much info. Mostly sets for the contractors to use and then a set for the material suppliers to do estimates. I worked for a home builder who wanted a lot of details but this was because the framers he used needed a lot of help on building things. The bigger cities in the area require more info/details and are pretty strict with that and plot plans. Its a bummer to have to do all the extra work but its nice being able to charge for it now and not too terrible on the back! :D

And thanks for the tips RL-Inc.!