How's business out there guys?

dshall

I was talking with a Buddy a little bit ago,  and he said things have been a bit tough for the last 9 months.  

Last year somehow I had my best year,  but I would not say I have been buried.  I don't want to be buried,  so that is good.

It seems like I have just enough work to keep me coming in every day which is a true blessing.  It seems like there will be a spurt of new jobs,  and then a lull,  another spurt of new jobs and then another lull.  I guess I keep busy during the lulls with the spurt of projects.

So what is your experience?  Are you guys buried or treading water?

Scott I agree with you, I was busy all of our winter doing projects and through most of this summer but starting to see a slow down of drawings around here and seems to early with summer just getting here, hopefully something will break and work will start flowing again. I am not out of work but only backed up with a few set of CD to do

Just digging out from just over 20 jobs on my desk. Took an afternoon off the other day for the first time in a couple months. Phone still rings off the hook and had to turn down a couple jobs I couldn't fit in. Too busy is not good and I've been too busy. I'm learning to pace myself and let my clients know they have to wait a bit before I can get to them. After going through what we all went through not that long ago it's very hard to turn work down but sometimes it's the smartest thing to do.

Since most of my work comes from local contractors, my workload is usually tied to the local home shows. They have about 5 a year around here. Constant work this year, not a huge backlog like it use to be. Haven't needed to advertise in 30 years.

Call it what you will but each individual makes their own "luck" by living and operating viably or not. If a guy treats people right, advertises, promotes and delivers more than what was promised on an ongoing basis, he then survives well. If, on the other had he watches TV and waits for the phone to ring, doesn't treat his clients with respect so they feel special, then that kind of person "doesn't do as well" and wonders "why"? I am not a Hindu or Buddhist but I have observed that something like "Karma" does exist and is made or unmade by each of us based upon how alive we act and how morally we do so.

DJP

I was busy last year and have been busy so far this year. It has slowed down a bit with contractors finishing up what they started earlier (unlike you guys in CA, we were inundated this spring - even crops were late getting planted - and that's a good thing). Remodels are starting to show up; mostly people not in a real hurry and don't know if they want to remodel or build new. Probably like many of you, 2+ years ago was a disaster. Plenty of time to learn more about Chief.

Mike

I know we are a little different than most of you but slammed-doubled last year already. Wasn't in such good shape in January, but ever since I've been saying I'll be caught up next week for months, doesn't happen.

I can't say we are anything of an indicator. My work depends on contractors, ID's, and architects; very few walk ins. Just happens that my contacts are in a cycle now.

No doubt about it-next week will level out. ;) then hope to find a way to maintain.

I do my own design but I also do the build as the general contractor.

Works good here! I have more then I can handle for the rest of the year and into next year. Lot of resources though so I can always handle more. Just worried about the quality if I take on two much so I will have to draw the line somewhere. Don't want to ruin my reputation getting greedy.

I do my own design but I also do the build as the general contractor.

Works good here! I have more then I can handle for the rest of the year and into next year. Lot of resources though so I can always handle more. Just worried about the quality if I take on two much so I will have to draw the line somewhere. Don't want to ruin my reputation getting greedy.

Joey if you make sure of the quality and you control that you will always have work, before getting into just design I did design build and aLways had work and could keep the quality guys work all year and that was through our winters

Joey if you make sure of the quality and you control that you will always have work, before getting into just design I did design build and aLways had work and could keep the quality guys work all year and that was through our winters

That's why I'm busy. Been working my are for 25 years now and I usually have 5 or 6 remodels going at the same time. And rarely not more then a 20 minute drive to a job. Now I have almost doubled that number so that is my concern. 5 or 6 jobs is a walk in the park.

Went 100% on my own (was moonlighting while having a full time job) and staying very busy! Just today, I got a signed contract for concepts and CDs for a 35 new home subdivision deal with a local home builder - Thankful to be busy! about 5-7 active projects

Between our two stores (me and a draftsperson in training), we've drawn around 280 projects this year.

Last year total I drew around 400 (we didn't have the other draftsperson hired yet).

So we've got a little bit of ground to cover yet...

Between our two stores (me and a draftsperson in training), we've drawn around 280 projects this year.

Last year total I drew around 400 (we didn't have the other draftsperson hired yet).

So we've got a little bit of ground to cover yet...

Last year, 250 work days, 400 projects, that's 1.6 a day. Impressive, and impossible for me to come even close.

Last year, 250 work days, 400 projects, that's 1.6 a day. Impressive, and impossible for me to come even close.

Heck,  I can barely talk to 1.6 people per day,  let alone go out and do a site measure,  draw as built conditions,  design a remodel,  draw CD's,  submit plans,  address the 367 comments back from the plan checker,  address the 1 "minor" changes my client wants to make,  review the changes with then engineer,  get approval from the plan checker,  make a quick pit stop into the men's room,  and then bill the client for the changes.

I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone with ATT trying to confirm an install date that was supposedly set up 3 weeks ago for today and now they are telling me it will not be installed until the 29th.......  oops,  the next person said the 30th......  just got a call from a 3rd person,  they will be out this thursday between 8-4.......  luckily I have tendonitus so I can not even think about playing my usual Thursday golf game.....  instead I can wait all day Thursday for somebody to hook up my new high speed fiber optic internet service......  10 times faster than time warner....  I need a vacation......  Bluesapalooza 2 weeks from now up in Mammoth.....  then I  will need a vacation from that....  fortunately I will be going to Idaho for the UGM in September,   .........

Wellll...there's more to it than that.

We do more than just houses, plus we don't have strict codes around here.  So we don't have to get things approved by engineers, etc...

On average we do 50 pole buildings per year, plus there's a lot of simple garages and remodels.  They're not all full blown new houses or extensive remodels.

And we don't bill out for our drafting services.  We make up for it in the material we sell.  We call it a "service we provide for homeowners and contractors".

Not all 400 of those plans went to Final either...

Wellll...there's more to it than that.

We do more than just houses, plus we don't have strict codes around here.  So we don't have to get things approved by engineers, etc...

On average we do 50 pole buildings per year, plus there's a lot of simple garages and remodels.  They're not all full blown new houses or extensive remodels.

And we don't bill out for our drafting services.  We make up for it in the material we sell.  We call it a "service we provide for homeowners and contractors".

Not all 400 of those plans went to Final either...

Sure glad you cleared that up, a.k.a. jonathank. I was just about ready to respond to you personally to get some training on how to use Chief! I am certainly not the fastest guy out here, but you had me concerned about my ability to use this program! :lol:

Mike

edit: I'm glad you have that kind of business available and needed to hire more help; that is what a good business model is supposed to look like in action.