Attic wall definition to "reverse".

IvanCyr

See attached pics.  Is there a simple way to create an attic wall that reverses?  I suspect not.

However, I've attached a couple pics which I'm trying to put together.  Effectively, I have two rooms.  The room above the lower ceiling height uses the soffit surface for a ceiling.  There are two issues.  I would like to solve both.

First, the attic wall starts at the top of the higher ceiling producing a "hole" which you can see on the double picture with the red circle and the red arrow.

Second, the interior attic wall is showing the exterior wall surface.  I need it obviously to show interior surface inside, and then exterior outside.

Without building PS everywhere, what might you experts suggest?

Thanks.

Ivan

post-110-0-18002000-1437089679_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-45372300-1437089707_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the responses.

Curt: No it made no change.

Alan: The material painter will change the whole material....sure the inside might look good, but then the outside is clad with drywall.  Doesn't do much to fix the hole!! LOL

Shane: I put this together in under a minute to showcase the issue.  You could too; 4 walls divided by a room divider.  Make both end walls gable with the autoroof.  Shrink them to the divider, copy, flip and paste the roof and lower it 24" and make the room under it soffit for a ceiling.  Voila....probably took me longer to type this up....

I'm still open to more ideas! :)

Thanks for the responses.

Curt: No it made no change.

Alan: The material painter will change the whole material....sure the inside might look good, but then the outside is clad with drywall.  Doesn't do much to fix the hole!! LOL

Shane: I put this together in under a minute to showcase the issue.  You could too; 4 walls divided by a room divider.  Make both end walls gable with the autoroof.  Shrink them to the divider, copy, flip and paste the roof and lower it 24" and make the room under it soffit for a ceiling.  Voila....probably took me longer to type this up....

I'm still open to more ideas! :)

By looking at your picture, it looks like your upper gable is not connected to lower gable, since its not connected The Lower Wall Type If Split (what Curt suggested) will not work.

Ivan:

I think you might be correct (and Perry).  I cannot get it to work either.  Tried going with a pony wall and having a mess of a time getting the walls shaped correctly.  Maybe when Scott or someone else has a moment to play with it, we'll find out what we're doing wrong.  I suspect it is something simple .. just not sure what it is right now.  Need more coffee.

Here's the plan I was playing with .... similar to yours I think:

AtticGableWall.zip

If you want to play with this plan, you may want to delete that attic wall and rebuild since I believe I've made a mess of it trying to shape the upper and lower pony walls.

Ivan:

Maybe this is one of those cases where the room with the vaulted ceiling would work better if there's a 2nd floor level for that section of the house????  I will let you play with that idea if you so choose.

Thx Greg.  Let me confirm what you mean.  The initial room partition wall was an interior wall.  I "locked" the attic wall to the lower.  With your comment, I went back and redefined that lower wall to be the same as the attic wall, locked it, and tried again....still not working.

I see Curt, you took another stab at it.  Thx for your time.  I suspect it is something fairly simple but perhaps you're right...another coffee!!

Not perfect,  but just about there.  A little siding is shown inside room.  Exterior render looks good,  extra lines if vector used.

Definitely not  perfect.

Interesting,  I opened the posted plan and it is not working.  You can see by pic it was working until I guess I saved and reopened.

I am so over trying to solve problems like this in Chief. They are constant and so hard to figure out. I just drag walls around and place p-line solids to get the look I need. I know, I know, I should try and get the model perfect etc. etc. but I just don't have the time to fix these idiosyncrasies within Chief and tired of trying.

Yeah Scott...I just typed up a long response with pics to the zipped file....it is not working as you stated yet is was clearly working from your screen shots.....unless you also are a Photoshop Guru!

Might just "fix it" with PS....won't be the first time, nor the last. :-)

It would still be very interesting to have "the fix" with a couple clicks of a button.  In the actual building, it is considerably more complex.  The roof baseline height is a couple feet lower just like it is in the example here but the roof pitch is considerably steeper crossing the higher roof plane so I actually need the attic wall to "flip" the outside siding from one side to the other.  I considered a "Wall Covering" but you can't quite define the triangular areas effectively.  Pretty easy to fix this using PS but quite another for construction documentation.  Grrrrr.....

....it is not working as you stated yet is was clearly working from your screen shots.....

I did try to recreate the successful model,  but I was unable to repeat the results.  I probably could if I had spent more time,  did a rain dance and said 7 Hail Mary's,  but that should be unneccessary.  Apparently I was very lucky the first time when I was successful,  I must of luckily done everything correctly in the correct order.

This might be a case of a SUPER WORKAROUND.

Yeah Scott...I just typed up a long response with pics to the zipped file....it is not working as you stated yet is was clearly working from your screen shots.....unless you also are a Photoshop Guru!

Might just "fix it" with PS....won't be the first time, nor the last. :-)

It would still be very interesting to have "the fix" with a couple clicks of a button.  In the actual building, it is considerably more complex.  The roof baseline height is a couple feet lower just like it is in the example here but the roof pitch is considerably steeper crossing the higher roof plane so I actually need the attic wall to "flip" the outside siding from one side to the other.  I considered a "Wall Covering" but you can't quite define the triangular areas effectively.  Pretty easy to fix this using PS but quite another for construction documentation.  Grrrrr.....

Giving up quickly on chief is not good, I think I have found stable one. Let me check it.

post-2517-0-16072600-1437236695_thumb.jpg

This is always a PIA most of the time. It's even worse if the floor heights are different. Usually I get it to work eventually. Sometimes it goes real smoothly. I always close and reopen the plan to be sure everything sticks....sometimes not.