Window Config

johnny

I'm working on a modern house design for a client - using CA.  Im trying to model out a "wall" that consists mostly of columns (steel), girts, headers, and windows wrapped in a wood clad.  In Vectorworks i can simply place "window wall" between the columns/girts/headers without a "wall container".   Below is an example of the type of window/wall I am trying to model.

In CA I need a wall to inset a window, so I was thinking about using a 2x4 (rough framing only) between the columns and then set my windows in those.  Following that I would use the wall material region to manually place my cladding (interior and exterior).

Does this sound like the best method to use?

Thanks!

modern_retreat_beach_house_design4.jpg

So I am working on this - and I did a bit different route making my walls glass and adding the columns/girts/beams over top.  However, I ran into an issue where my glass wall displays fine from the exterior, but when i move inside it show Sheetrock.  Why is that?...and how can I fix?

Thanks

prob1.jpg

prob2.jpg

Johnny:

Several months back (or more), Joe Carrick posted his ideas on curtain walls (I think) that might be helpful to you. 

Thanks!

I did a search on Joe Carrick and Curtain Wall and only this thread came up.  Do you have advice on key words from that thread?

Reset the "Room" wall material to default.  Then select individual walls to "paint" your preferred material.  Otherwise, you end up w/painted glass.

jon

So I found out (kinda) what the issue is.  Since I made the wall glass and connected it to a wall with Sheetrock, when the application automatically balloons the walls the material bends.  Interesting...  I dont know how to get around this...

This is what I get for thinking I could do something in CA that needs a ton of work-arounds.  The application is trying to think for me - and it takes me more time screwing around with tricking it to do what i want than if I were to model this in Sketchup using shapes.

If you use the material eye dropper and click on your custom symbol glass and then on the interior side of one of those panels showing sheetrock, they all turn to glass.  ?????

Yep - it tries to connect all my walls inside so that layer becomes glass and you see to the ply.

glass_issue2.jpg

Your wall was not to default height on wall that had problem and therefore caused drywall issue.

sorry I dont fully understand (btw, thanks for your time).  "not to default height on wall"?   That room is supposed to be 13'-6", which is different than the rest of the home.

I attached a photo and circled wall that is not correct height. It took a minute to find, that is VERY BUSY wall. lol

Edit: I love how we all have a trick or 2 for work a rounds, BUT I like to know what I did before I start that last resort of solutions. I noticed you had several of your glass walls that did have proper interior view so I knew your wall type was fine.  

I used Railing walls  for this Fir Pavilion I drew up a while back, and if you don't mind some manual work , like putting in the header over the Doors it works ok with a few caveats, like Chief's windows not working though library one's do , with some anomalies , I am sure Joe had figured that part out if you can find his old post. 

I actually made the Fir Posts clad steel as that was how I thought it might be built ie, cheaper to do at the time than a true Timber Frame, it wasn't too hard to make the post symbol and then  use it as the specified Newel from the library for the Railing Wall. 

post-315-0-08519800-1437010334_thumb.jpg

M.

• Upvote 1

I attached a photo and circled wall that is not correct height. It took a minute to find, that is VERY BUSY wall. lol

Edit: I love how we all have a trick or 2 for work a rounds, BUT I like to know what I did before I start that last resort of solutions. I noticed you had several of your glass walls that did have proper interior view so I knew your wall type was fine.  

Thank you - I saw that in your file.  My drawing is a work in progress...so its not close to what I have in my head, and I am experimenting along the way.