Post and beam in deck rails

country

I have searched for some way to show the posts and beams that are part of my deck rails. Everything looks great in elevation and perspective views but they do not show in plan view. Am I missing something basic or do I have to frame these with actual post and beams to show? Seemed so easy until I started CDs. with complete dimensioning and labels. The day went downhill from there.

I will continue searching for answers to my other problems but I have given up on this for now.

I have searched for some way to show the posts and beams that are part of my deck rails. Everything looks great in elevation and perspective views but they do not show in plan view. Am I missing something basic or do I have to frame these with actual post and beams to show? Seemed so easy until I started CDs. with complete dimensioning and labels. The day went downhill from there.

I will continue searching for answers to my other problems but I have given up on this for now.

Great question. I agree with what you have found out. Looks good in 3d but does translate well to plan.

This is the reason I never use post and beams with walls, rarely work well weber translated to plan view.

Why do they bother showing videos and explaining in a manual if you can't show it in plan? Now I get to do it the old fashioned way that I should have used to start with. A lot of wasted time.

Thank you for the info Scott. Do people that do a lot of CDs have a list of things that don't work for them?

Don't get me started on framing labels that totally obscure the posts they are noting. Something to add to My List. I'm sure there is a way to offset them but.......easier to type it in.

Great question. I agree with what you have found out. Looks good in 3d but does translate well to plan.

This is the reason I never use post and beams with walls, rarely work well weber translated to plan view.

I never use the post and beams for construction plan reasons too. I do it all manually. It really doesn't take that much longer to do manually I guess because I've done it for so long. By doing posts and beams manually, you can show and dimension anything. I also put the post and beams on certain layers I've made. The girl I work for uses post and beams with the walls because it's much faster in the initial stages, however, when it comes to me for construction drawings, I get rid of them and do it manually.

Why do they bother showing videos and explaining in a manual if you can't show it in plan? Now I get to do it the old fashioned way that I should have used to start with. A lot of wasted time.

Thank you for the info Scott. Do people that do a lot of CDs have a list of things that don't work for them?

Don't get me started on framing labels that totally obscure the posts they are noting. Something to add to My List. I'm sure there is a way to offset them but.......easier to type it in.

Oh mon Cherie, do not give up on the labels, I will do a quick vid for you.

Sherry,

Left justified requires a bit more programming.  Basically all CAD Objects in Chief have their origin at their x/y center.  So it's easy to position a Text Object with center justification.  To left or right justify Text the offset has to be calculated and then also adjusted for the angle. 

I really don't think they particularly wanted it centered on the post.  I think they just didn't know that wasn't the right place for it.

BTW, although Scott and some others might want an arrow - I personally don't use one and never have, even when using manual drafting.  I am old enough to have done that.  ;)

......Left justified requires a bit more programming. .......

Does this mean we can never have left justified text for our post call outs?

If this is the case,  I cannot imagine they will ever be able to improve the stairs,  left justified text seems so much easier to program than stairs.

I never used an arrow in my "manual drafting days" either. Never wrote the word post either..... 6"x 6" angled beside a cross block seems adequate for all the contractors I have ever known.

Jeez Mon Cherie,  you are making a lot of sense.  Yeah,  why do we need the work "POST"?  If you use auto labels,  you are stuck with the word post.  So what is the solution?  You cannot use WIDTH x DEPTH,  because then lumber sizes will not auto revert to nominal sizes........  SO WHAT IS THE SOLUTION? .......  well,  if we pick auto labeling,  give us the size,  LEAVE OFF THE WORD POST,  and if we want the word post,  we can add that into the SPECIFY LABEL box ourselves.

Great comment Mon Cherie,  I question why we need the arrow,  and I question why we need the word "POST".