Window won't move to edge

johnny

I am having an issue with a window that refuses to move in a wall segment - and I have no idea why.  I've looked thru the properties and can't find anything to suggest a restriction on its movement.  Here is a pic of what I see - I am trying to move it "down" while remaining on the wall type shown in black.

post-75-0-78221900-1436819663_thumb.png

You have 2 different wall sections. there is a setting that allows for the distance from the end of the wall, not on computer with CA so cant bring up window DBX.

I have found also in the past that sometimes you can shift the wall junction then move window into place then adjust wall lenght back.

I think you are right Graeme as I made a new file and tried the same thing and there is some sort of restriction.  However, I have gone through the dbx for windows and can't see anything that pertains to this.  Im going to end up running into this issue a lot on this project since I have windows that come to edges throughout. 

Its things like this that end up stopping my workflow a lot in CA.  Thanks for any help.

Robert L. posted this solution to a thread awhile back that turned out to work real nice when an open doorway needed to butt up against a perpendicular wall.  I am not sure if it will work for what you're doing but you might give it a try.

post-191-0-79632100-1436820517_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys - that got me 1/2 there - lol .....its still not letting me bring that window closer to the edge.   I am now 3 5/8" away. 

I even have my min. separation set to 0.

I am having to do this since I have a modern design with a "window wall" - but I need to place the windows in something even though the windows will align frame-to-frame.

Johnny:

Using the siding6 and brick6 wall types and a window with casing suppressed, I actually got this one to butt up to the wall types break without using the setting in my 1st post .... just used the control key and jiggled it over and it stuck.

post-191-0-75351000-1436822373_thumb.jpg

In this case It looks like your windows don't have casing ,so the other setting may not help , and the Window separation is just for that ,between windows only eg when Mulling Units .

But you can actually you can use the same trick , you use for Corner Glass Windows and that is to SLAM the window in the direction you want and it will go thru the framing and butt up to the end of the wall ....

you might need to try it once or twice to get the hang of it but move the window in the opposite direction and then quickly move it back the other way dragging the window through the framing etc and it should bump up against the end of the wall, but don't let go of the mouse button too soon ,if you hold it too long the window will popover to the other side of the wall break , so it might take some practice.... but it works when I can't get the Ctrl Key to work as Curt suggested

M.

post-315-0-07955400-1436824738_thumb.jpg

Mick:

Here's one with the casing displayed that I got to butt up to the wall break.  Again, just jiggled it in using the Ctrl key.

post-191-0-76755400-1436824833_thumb.jpg

I suppressed the casing in my other attempt because Johnny's image showed the casing removed/suppressed.

I've had to deal with this situation for a particular builder who combines a special CMU wall product with sections of regular framing. The windows and doors go in the regular framing, and the sections are often barely wider than the window. Chief, being a smarter-than-the-average-bear program, assumes you can't possibly want to do what you are trying to do, so it forces a certain distance for framing. So, either my windows won't center, or Chief makes them narrower, no matter what I input. The workaround I've found is to begin with all the walls the same wall type, the CMU block. Once I've positioned and dimensioned the windows and doors, and as far into the work sequence as possible, then I break the walls and change the sections to framing. And hope nothing changes.