can roof planes be customized to contain more layers?

Lighthouse

I'm trying to create an accurate model of a house with a variety of roof structures, in particular a plane that has 4" rigid insulation above the roof sheathing.  The entire plane is:

1/2" sheetrock

3/4" strapping

2x10 rafter

3/4 sheathing

3 1/2" rigid insulation

1/2" roof sheathing

shingles

If this were a wall I could create a new wall type with these exact layers, but I don't think there is a similar way to create a roof plane.  I know I could add polyline solids on top of an existing roof to create some of these layers, but I will have to keep track of all those layers as I continue to change the design.  Is there a way to create such a roof plane?

No, unfortunately you can't. I've suggested in the past to give us the ability to do so. The best you can do for now is make the sheathing layer in the roof plane dbx the total thickness of your 3/4" sheathing, 3 1/2" rigid and 1/2" sheathing (4 3/4"). Same thing for your ceiling (1 1/4"). Then you'd just add cad lines/boxes on your sections to detail the exact layers. Hope you don't need to use the material list either!!

That's the way I did it for a few SIP roofs and flat roofs I've done. 

• Upvote 1

one of the Gurus' may have a answer  but if there is no other option , you could stack one roof plan on top of the other perhaps...

use the auto roof to get your pitch , and 1st four layers would be drywall, strapping(rafter), Sheathing (Rafter), Surface (3/4 sheathing)

Then copy and paste in place a second roof plane and set up it's layers to finish the roof.

though it would get a bit much to do a whole complicated Roof ,  so it is probably better to just set the roof up for the total thickness and in the Section  Views , add extra lines as needed.

• Upvote 1

Timely subject. I am just starting a SIP panel project and would have had problems with the roof. It would be much better having roof systems similar to walls so they would work for material lists but I will let the SIP guys worry about their panels for now. My cross-sections are definitely going to take more time though.

What you can do is,  just create the thickness you want by adjusting the framing thickness you need and set the framing at 50' or whatever you have. Turn off auto roof framing.  Then handle the details with a detail.

I'm sorry Perry but I do not understand. I get adjusting the framing thickness but the "50ft." and turning off auto framing??? I usually have quite a few full sections and they will look odd if I just leave them with thick undefined spaces. I will use details but that doesn't help with sections unless I misunderstand something (quite possible though....)

I think I saw Scott (dshall) mention the 50ft trick in another post, about Rafters too, I'll see if I can find it, but wouldn't the "undefined space" not just be the Foam in the SIP sandwich? and be detailed as insulation?

......It would be much better having roof systems similar to walls .......... My cross-sections are definitely going to take more time though.

This is a very good point,  what you are asking for is the ability to create as many layers as needed for a roof assembly similar to what we can do with walls  with the wall multi layering capabilities.

I would like to think CA is working on this for X8 but who knows.  The MODELING OF THE STRUCTURE is hopefully what CA will be concentrating on in the next few versions...... and this includes what Sherry is asking for.

And Sherry brings up a good point.....  without being able to define multi layers of a roof assembly her sections will take a bit longer.  This is the kind of function that we power users who do a lot of CD's would like to see to make our jobs  quicker and more efficient.

To make it even more complex, most of these roofs are trusses with SIPs as the top member. I will give it more thought once I have a basic layout done for the floor levels and decide on the overall appearance.

I know how to do sections with the thick foam and just add lines/polys for the sheathing layers and splines, having done that in Vectorworks. Slow and tedious even with copy and paste.

Lots of CD's but definitely not any power here........

I think this is what the original poster is looking for. This was done with a ceiling plane, and two stacked roof planes.

It is possible to show the strapping in section, and also to show the purlins for the roof insulation in section; but I have not done that here as it would take a little more time.

The plan is attached.

post-62-0-69715800-1436671868_thumb.jpg

Double roof.plan

• Upvote 2

Thanks Bill , I thought it could probably be done from my quick playing around , just took a Master to prove it :)

This is something CA should be able to let us do more easily by just allowing more layers in the current  Roof DBX , I would of thought ,especially these days with all the different Roof systems available.

Right, looks good but PITA, particularly if there is going to be ongoing design modifications and I have to keep moving two sets of roofs around.  From a programming standpoint, this seems like an easy feature for Chief to add, since they could just cut a paste the code for creating wall types (I'm sure all the software engineers are getting a good laugh from that statement) :-)