Layout Box - Annoset & Layer Set Question

Joe_Carrick

A Layout has it's own Layer Set(s) that are totally independent from the Plan(s) that are linked.

Each Layout Box has a tie to the Plan and allows selection of an Annoset in that Plan.  This allows the Layer Set for that Layout Box to be changed - according to what's specified in the Annoset.  There doesn't seem to be any way to change the Layer Set without having an Annoset that specifically sets a Layer Set.

Have I missed something?

Joe:

I think all you've said is correct.  But once a person has set up his anno sets with an appropriate layer set for each anno set, why would you want to change the layer set for any particular anno set?

......There doesn't seem to be any way to change the Layer Set without having an Annoset that specifically sets a Layer Set......

INCORRECT

Have I missed something?

YES

If i understand the question,  you can right click on layout box,  see pic for what pops up,  you can now specify the layout set you want without an anno set be specified...............  however.....  however....  if you open layout box,  an open,  you can select the ANNO SET and if that is tied to a layer set,  the layer set will be set.

Complicated stuff and unless one understands this,  what I said will make no sense.

If you want a further explanation,  give me a call.  I cannot explain it any better.

post-50-0-87739200-1436547405_thumb.png

Joe

Highlight the Layout Box and then select the Layout Box Layers icon from the Edit toolbar.  Select the Layer Set from the dbx.

For plan views you can also select the Layout Box and open it and then choose the Plan View tab and choose the anno set.  Anno Sets for other views are associated with the Plan and handel Layer Sets as you already mentioned.

I actually like using the Layout as kind of a Dashboard to navigate to many of the setting I use on a regular basis.  I have the Project Browser docked to the left of the screen with the Pages section open.  I also use a  hotkey for quick access so I only use it when I need it.   I still find that there are times when I just want to change settings without going through the Layout though.

We have seen threads before regarding whether Layer Sets or Anno Sets are King.  That doesn't really mean anything to me.  Seems like personal preference to me, with the exception that I would certainly not leave Layout Views off ot the list of options. 

Curt,

I don't personally have a problem with using the Annoset to control the Layer Set.

I was more thinking about the user who doesn't want to (or isn't comfortable with) customizing annosets.  He might want to simply copy a Layout Box in the Layout and change the Layer Set of the contained view.

Scott & Rod

I now see those options with the Menu / Toolbar Icons for the Layer Sets.  It's just kind of strange that the same thing can't be selected from within the Layout Box dbx.

Joe

Highlight the Layout Box and then select the Layout Box Layers icon from the Edit toolbar.  Select the Layer Set from the dbx.

AGREE, THAT IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO  IN PREVIOUS POST

For plan views you can also select the Layout Box and open it and then choose the Plan View tab and choose the anno set.  Anno Sets for other views are associated with the Plan and handel Layer Sets as you already mentioned.

AGREE,  THAT IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO IN PREVOUS POST 

The above methods are two different methods of defining the LAYER SET for the LAYOUT BOX LAYERS..........  

I think Rod and I are in agreement.

Scott & Rod

............. It's just kind of strange that the same thing can't be selected from within the Layout Box dbx.

I agree,  but once you understand it,  who cares?  Maybe the reason has to do with whether the layer set is being chosen by the anno set and whether the anno set is king or whether .........     blah blah blah,  ....  at least you understand it now.