Move the house or move the Site?

ACADuser

I need to move the location of the house 20' south and 20' west.

In ACAD I would move the site as it is easy to select all items outside the house.

With CA the selection is clumsily. You shift select & if you catch anything that was selected it get unselected.

Is there an easy way to select all but the house & it contents?

post-2435-0-17217100-1436483975_thumb.png

I need to move the location of the house 20' south and 20' west.

In ACAD I would move the site as it is easy to select all items outside the house.

With CA the selection is clumsily. You shift select & if you catch anything that was selected it get unselected.

Is there an easy way to select all but the house & it contents?

You can do both, depends on which one you want.

If you want to move the house only, select exterior of house and make room poly line. As you finish that select the polyline and go to edit tool bar, then select "edit area all floors" command and move it using point to point move.

If you need to move the site less the the house, make a big rectangle that encloses all and subtract the room poly line from it. Again follow the same procedure as option one.

Well this one is messy. Plants, trees & hedges around the house need to move with the house. Also the pool equipment, AC units Lani, pool deck etc.

Better to move the site I think, haven't got that subtract thing to select anything but I will keep trying.

Layers may be doable but I need to re-layer all  new landscape next to the house.

Thanks

This happens to me often, and I always move the site.

Reason - no matter how complicated the site is, the house is always more complicated.

For a start - you have multiple levels to the house. Even if it's only single storey - you have attic items or foundation items. If you move level 1 over, it doesn't move the attic layer with it (for example).

But all your site stuff will all (likely) be on 1 current floor.

I have all layers off, then turn on only the ones I need to move - terrain, trees, elevation lines etc. Then select all (ctrl+A) and then Transform/Replicate Object to where the site needs to be moved, relative to the house.

There will obviously be some tidy up to get it perfect again, but I've found it's a fraction of the time compared to shifting the house model and all the issues that causes (and many of them unseen until they cause a problem, then they are harder to fix!)

Well this one is messy. Plants, trees & hedges around the house need to move with the house. Also the pool equipment, AC units Lani, pool deck etc.

Better to move the site I think, haven't got that subtract thing to select anything but I will keep trying.

Layers may be doable but I need to re-layer all  new landscape next to the house.

Thanks

Alan you should have to cut a very small width rectangular strip out of the subtracted area to get it work, don't forget using to hold the Shift+C to move concentrically. It is not limited to this but you can enclose any shape polyline to the area you need. I don't think you are missing the selection before the "edit area all floors"

See this example the shaded area let's me to select all most any thing except the house, may be some elements falling in or around the thin strip will need to treat as exception.

post-2517-0-96146600-1436489641_thumb.jpg

I always move the site plan not the house or building and I always have the front of the house facing the bottom. About the only time I move a structure is like a detached garage if it is turned at an angle. I also do the site plan in a layer set linked to an anno set.

Good advice Tommy. I'm not up to speed on the anno sets yet.

Smeagol, good idea. I was not aware of the tool.  That would work for plan view changes. Quick and easy.

My problem is that I wanted 3D views with the real site and that requires moving something 3D.

Lew, that sounds like a good way to go. I would prefer to delete the site objects & paste in place the

site objects. Then while still selected do the Move with transform replicate.

Alan,

Take the time to study and get up to speed on Annoset / Layerset setups.  It's going to save you a lot of time.  If you have them set up right it's just one click to get to the point where you can marquee select all the site objects and then move them.

That's just one case where custom Annosets will save you a lot of time and frustration.  When I'm working in my wood shop making a piece of furniture I always take the time to sharpen my tools and create any jigs that I'm going to need before I start the project.  It's the same with Chief Architect.  If I have the right tools the job is just so much easier and the next time I already have those available and I know exactly how to use them.

Thanks Joe I will.

Perry, yes that is what I did.

I created a few new layers for the text, slabs  & trees that needed to stay with the house.

Then created a new layer set with site plan only, no house etc.

Moved the site, then adjusted all the topo & driveway as needed.

Worked fine.

It seems that my method is not working for you guys. No feed backs though! Hopefully some one who already use this or understands will interpret it for you in your English.

For sure this works fine, if you pay head.

So to fix it I deleted the terrain & all elements associated with the site form my backup plan.

Then copied the moved site from the corrected plan & paste in place.

Looks like the terrain perimeter can not be done that way. deleted the pline for the terrain

and created a new terrain perimeter.

Not quite fixed yet but getting closer.

Alan, sorry you're having so much trouble. It should be fairly easy to move this the way you want. I doubt at this point that anyone could help to see why your having the problems your getting unless they actually watch what your doing.

Sometimes procedure makes all the difference. Also, no one has mentioned that if the house changes location on the property and you are using elevation data in the terrain, then your building platform heights will probably change for every separate structure. I don't understand why your windows moved? If you're copying stuff in one plan to another, then I would probably have an idea why stuff jumped (even if you did a copy, paste in place).

Joe pointed out that I inadvertently left the window layer ON. Apparently even if you can not see the windows when the wall layer is off the fact that the layer is ON will allow them to be selected.

When the Moves were made I did not check the house. Then I cleaned up the topo points and other items that needed adjusting.

When i switched back to floor plan layer I saw the windows out of place. Some had jumped to other walls so it was not feasible to move all the windows.

At that point I decided to abandon that plan. The site was correct though so I opened a previous plan where the house was in correct condition.

I deleted all the site items & copied the other site I had modified & paste hold position in the old plan. that put the site objects in the correct position.

Only problem was the terrain apparently will not copy from one plan to another.

So I created a new terrain & the old terrain data I pasted worked OK.

The fact is that there are items that will give you trouble with terrain changes like this.

I just hope I can remember them next time this happens.

Alan, you can copy the terrain and elevation to another plan BUT, in the new plan, those items will be standard cad items/polylines. You can just select the polyline that is for the terrain perimeter and convert it to a terrain perimeter, and set it when the terrain dbx pops up. Same with the elevation data, they will be cad lines and you just need to convert them to elevation data and set the elevation heights when the dbx pops up. You really didn't need to start from scratch.