Dormer shows on the wrong floor on floor plan

ACADuser

OK I did the Floating dormer on 2nd floor plan view & they attached to the front wall but cut the railing on the other side of the room.

That is fixable but still I don't want the walls & such showing on the 2nd floor plan, just a ceiling outline or nothing.

Perhaps the Explode method is the way to go. I only want to see then on the attic plan & the elevations.

Thanks fellas.

Alan,

Not really "Outside the Box".  This is the method that some of us have been advocating for quite a long time; additonal Basement and Attic Floors rather than blindly using what Chief provides.  I even sometimes put in a "dummy floor" to create an "Intersticial Space" for Mechanical and Plumbing between a Commercial and Residential Floor in a mixed occupancy building.

Alan,  After looking at your Plan, I would have the 2nd Floor only 36" Tall with no Ceiling.  Then I would have a 3rd Floor (Open Below) with a Ceiling at 72".  You will need to adjust the Floor Structure of the 3rd Floor so there's no gap between the 2nd and 3rd Floors, and you might need to work with the Ceiling Structure of the 2nd Floor.

I guess you drew them (placed) on the 1st floor if that's where they show ? , copy/paste>hold position to the Attic level and you should still get what you want , though they aren't cutting the roof hole properly on either level at present. I moved the middle one down , but I don't think Floating dormers will sit on a Wall ?, so you may need to do it manually if real important.

I also noticed your stairs aren't aligned with the stairwell hole....

post-315-0-53804500-1436470394_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-87526200-1436470407_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-46495500-1436470416_thumb.jpg

Mick,

Yes stair position changed & it's all aligned now.

I'll try the paste in place, although the dormers are picky about being near another dormer.

The non floating dormer complained about no wall present so I used floating dormers.

I originally placed then in elevation view. So maybe because the 2nd floor is :Open to Below" the fell through to the 1st floor.  :)

PS the paste in place in the attic did the trick. I has to move then off the front wall to get them to trim the wall as it showed up in the windows.

Now the outline is all that shows in the 2nd floor plan, perfect.

Still have a framing issue but I'll delete or turn off framing as that roof is existing.

Thanks

post-2435-0-95988400-1436476516_thumb.png

you should be able to delete the Roof Framing and just rebuild it.....     

lesson learned ...don't do Dormer in elevation view :)               yes normal dormers need a knee wall at 90° to the Dormer wall at the back when you place them AFAIK.

M.