driving me crazy - annotation dimensions jumping to only 1 at a time (instead of various types)

9emmmm

Go to solution Solved by 9emmmm,

Hi There, 

I’ve been using annotation sets for years, can’t think of anything I’m doing differently, but getting a different (and frustrating) result. I’m looking specifically at dimensions.

I have different annotations set up, for different scales etc that are on different layers.

For some reason, suddenly, my layer sets are not behaving as previously. They were working perfectly before.

However now it seems I can only have one annotation set that gets used across the whole set. Whatever the current annotation set is, gets plastered across all annotation sets

I do NOT have ‘active layer set’ selected in annotation defaults, they are set to the corresponding annotation set they should be.

I’m going round in circles and it’s driving me bananas. Like most users, I have clients waiting for drawings, and I can’t issue them drawings with dimensions that are not appropriately sized to the scale of the drawing.

Hopefully it’s a simple thing that I’ve missed. Thanks for your time.

However now it seems I can only have one annotation set that gets used across the whole set. Whatever the current annotation set is, gets plastered across all annotation sets

I think you will get better responses if this paragraph is clearer. I have no idea what you mean.

I believe I get what he is talking about.....

There are two different drop down lists that you can use.  one is for anno sets and the other is layer sets.  I think what you are doing is changing only the layer set and not the anno set.  So you can go start with a "roof" Layer set and have a "roof" Annoset and if you change just the layer set to a "Foundation" layer set, the anno set for "roofs" will still be active.  You can have an anno set change the layer set, but can't have the layer set change the anno set.  This has been a debate in the past on which should control the other.  

So, I think what you were originally doing was changing the anno sets when you thought you were changing the layer sets.

I have run into problems by working in plan and not using my anno sets to switch back and forth between views that I will be sending or have sent to LO.  I think it works best if you send views to LO and then dbl click the layout box (in LO) to work on any particular anno set.  If for whatever reason you haven't sent views to LO, then to keep your layers (dimensions, etc.) working properly, you have to switch back and forth with whatever anno set you want to work on.

What I have done is created a Annoset for each Layer set that I have.  I rarely switch my layer set drop down list.  Each Anno set that I have corresponds with the layer set.  Example, my "roofing" annoset links to my "roofing" layer set.  My FDN Annoset links with my FDN Layerset.  That is what I have found works best for me.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

This was also sent to chief support, they can see what I’m talking about. The developers are working on it, but currently can’t figure out what is causing it. I’ll post any solution.

Yes jbaehmer, I have an anno set for each layer set and each different scale I use.

Yes Gawdzira, I have the drop down box on my toolbars, right next to the layer selection drop down box.

Yes CJSpud, I have the appropriate anno set AND layer set when I’m drafting in whatever scale I’m using at the time.

Gawdzira – I hadn’t seen your thumbnail point before (with the green background). I opened that up to see in my layout. They were set correctly. Plan based views (site plan, floor plan, wet area plans) have that option to set it – however camera + CAD detail views in layout don’t have that option in the layout box specification. As the issue is going across camera, CAD details as well as plan based views, AND is happening in plan itself as well/independently of the layout - so I can’t see that fixing the issue. Good to know that's there though - thanks.

Yes jbaehmer, mine looks like the highlights in your thumbnail.

I’ve been using annotation sets a long time and have only just randomly stopped working correctly, and only in 1 particular job (all my other jobs are still working fine).

Sorry Richard, I was a bit frazzled when I wrote it.

Clearer (I hope) explanation:

Despite having all my annotation sets working – suddenly - only 1 works at a time.

If I open a layer set that is 1:50 scale (sorry guys, I’m metric, Australia), then (in plan + layout) – ALL of my dimensions go to 1:50 annotation size instead what they are assigned to (1:100, 1:200, 1:20, 1:10 etc).

If I go to my floor plan layer (plan + layout) it now has 1:50 scale dimensions. I reselect the correct annotation set , and it corrects to 1:100. BUT – everything (all layers + scales) goes to 1:100 annos – and round we go again.

This happens for dimension heights in different layer sets in the main plan, and also changes the dimension heights in CAD Details.

If I select the dimension itself (in section, wall elevation, plan, CAD detail, anywhere) and open it – I see it is assigned to the correct anno that it should be.

Likewise, annotation defaults all have the correct dimensions assignment they should to the corresponding annotation set.

I shut it down and reopened and all that.

Bizarrely,  opening the job this morning and it seems to be okay. I have to make some changes in the job, so will see if moving around in it triggers the issue again.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas..

Em

With you having it they way you said, that is strange as to why it happened.  Hope TS figures it out for you.

The DBX box that Alan (Gawdzira) showed is when you open the view port of the plan in Layout view.  Note...not double clicking the view, but highlighting it and clicking the open symbol.  Cool little trick that I didn't know about this this thread happened.

• Solution

Thanks jbaehmer.

Got this back from TS (posting in case anyone else ever has the issue):

“I spoke with one of our developers and they figured out that the issue you are experiencing is occurring because many of your dimensions were originally created using a dimension default that no longer exists in your plan file. Because of this, whenever your annotation sets change, changing your active dimension default with it, the dimensions using the non-existent dimension default don’t know what to be referencing and so switch to using the active dimension default.
You can correct this for each of the changing views in your layout by opening the plan file from that view, select all of the problem dimensions, click Open Object, and then select the correct Dimension Default from the drop down menu, and click OK. By assigning the dimension default to the dimension object in this way, you will ‘lock it in’ and the dimensions will no longer change what default they are using.
You can select multiple dimensions at the same time by holding the shift key on your keyboard as you click each dimension line, or you can select the manual dimension tool, and then while holding shift on your keyboard, left click and drag a selection marquee across your plan to select only dimension objects you cover with the selection marquee.”