Sending Multiple Floor Plans to Layout

Joe_Carrick

I almost always have at least 2 floors but often have 3-4 and when I send them to Layout I want them to be at the same location on different sheets.  So here's the way I do it:

1.  I have a rectangle (144' x 96') which I blocked and placed on Layer "CAD, Arch-D' and added to my Library

2.  I place that on all my First Floor Plan so that it encompasses the Plan.

3,  I then Copy and "Paste In Place" to all the other Floor Plans.

4.  Next I lock that Layer

When I send the Floor Plans to Layout, they are all located at the same location on their respective sheets.

Then I go back to the Plan and turn of the display of that Layer - which turns it off in the Layout as well.

Note, the (144' x 96') corresponds to the Arch-D Sheet size for a 1/4"=1' scale plan.  For different scales or sheet sizes I use a different size rectangle.  The key is to make the rectangle match the size of the layout sheet.

I like to have my floor plans line up from page to page as well, but I take a different approach – First, I send one floor to layout and place/size the layout box as desired. For the other floors, I just copy the layout box and paste hold position to the other pages. Then I just change the 'current floor' in the layout box dbx and, if necessary, the layer set. 

Not knocking Joe's tip, just offering an alternative. 

....... For the other floors, I just copy the layout box and paste hold position to the other pages. Then I just change the 'current floor' in the layout box dbx and, if necessary, the layer set.......

This is a great method that was not available until ........  errrrrrrrrrr.... x6 or x7.  Good method.

For those of us who use the SAM or the TEMPLATE METHOD with layout boxes already in layout,  I use a MARKER on sheet zero of layout,  that will then show on all sheets,  and I then place the corner of all PLAN VIEWS on that marker.

3 methods,  they all work.  

I guess Joe's method would work for 2-3 DIFFERENT plans open and sending them to one layout ? eg Existing/Proposed/etc.    in which case Levis method doesn't work .... but maybe Scott's would ?

M.

I guess Joe's method would work for 2-3 DIFFERENT plans open and sending them to one layout ? eg Existing/Proposed/etc.    in which case Levis method doesn't work .... but maybe Scott's would ?

M.

Mick, Levi's method does work. To be specific, Levi could copy his foundation plan, go to next sheet in layout, paste in place, and with very little effort change it from foundation plan to a third floor plan using a different anno set, a different layer set, a different ref set, and change whether ref set is drawn first or last and, and. It will do his laundry for him.

I use Levi's PIP for first roughs with kitchens, usually give them 3 or 4 options. I PIP both plans and elevations, then relink to the other Save As options.

Once in a final I Save As the layout, dump extra elevations and change some  plan views the way Scott said.

Shouldhave said Paste and hold not PIP...

Mick, Levi's method does work. To be specific, Levi could copy his foundation plan, go to next sheet in layout, paste in place, and with very little effort change it from foundation plan to a third floor plan using a different anno set, a different layer set, a different ref set, and change whether ref set is drawn first or last and, and. It will do his laundry for him.

maybe I misunderstand , I was referring to using two different Plans , in particular the Existing Plans (As-Builts) and the new Proposed Plans/Final Plans, but I guess I'd just need to be careful what Plan the Layout Box came from before Altering the Level it displayed per Levis's idea. 

M.

maybe I misunderstand , I was referring to using two different Plans , in particular the Existing Plans (As-Builts) and the new Proposed Plans/Final Plans, but I guess I'd just need to be careful what Plan the Layout Box came from before Altering the Level it displayed per Levis's idea. 

M.

Mick,

The Layout Box knows what Plan it came from.  When you open a Layout the associated Plans are opened - but not necessarily displayed in the Project Browser.  However, if you double click on a Layout Box, that Plan and View will be located.  Levis's system will work fine - even with multiple Plans.

The Link is kind of a "one way street".  The Plan doesn't know what Layout to use - unless the Layout has the same name and is in the same folder.  However, Each Layout Box has a direct link to the Plan File it came from.  In fact, there are 4 Ruby Attributes for Layout Boxes that relate directly to the Plan:

referenced_filename -------- The Plan Filename without path or extension

referenced_full_filename -- The Plan Filename with complete path and extension

automatic_label --------------- Viewname from the Plan File

layer_set ------------------------- Initially the Layer Set as sent from the Plan File.

There could be a problem if you switch to Layer Set that isn't from the same Plan.  Layer Sets are only added to a Layout as views are sent to Layout.  So there is no guarantee that a specific Layer Set will be available.  For Example:

Plan has the following Layer Sets:

New Plan View

New Framing

Floor Plans are sent to Layout using the "New Plan View" Layer Set

"New Framing" will not be in the Layout, so copying the Layout Box to another page will not give you the option to select that Layer Set.

M.

Even if you change the level on the wrong plan, you can just relink to the right file after.

post-108-0-67850000-1436476485_thumb.png

And as long as your existing/as-built plans and your proposed/final plans are at the same origin (X and Y location) in the plan file, they will line up nicely from page to page. If they're in different spots though, then you'd need to use Joe's method.

Thanks Guys ,appreciate the extra info  , all plans are usually done with my Template , so all Layersets, should be present especially since I usually do the Existing Drawing , then do a Save As and Name it Proposed , and then again to Final once that decision is made,  so my Origin should be the same in all versions of the Plan for that Project.

M.