Is it possible to copy only what is inside a box or polyline?

Lighthouse

I like to draw sections in CAD and then show the details at larger scale on a different page.  I would like to put a circle or box around a detail, and just copy what is inside that circle or box.  I can do this in a labor-intensive way by selecting the box and then individually trimming each line that intersects it, but that is too slow.  Isn't this a common operation that other people do?  I can't find anything about it in the manual.

I can use "edit area" in a plan view, but not in a CAD detail, which is where I want to do it.

Thanks

I don't get it.  I can draw a cad box on a layout sheet and edit the cad box, but I cannot edit the "layout box border" that surrounds a drawing that is sent to the layout sheet.  This is the one that I need to edit, because this one restricts the view of the drawing, which is what I want to do.  Is this layout box editable?  When I select it, my fillet tool is not available, but when I select a cad box on the layout sheet it (the cad box) is editable.

Lighthouse,

Create a Rectangle just slightly larger than the Layout Box.

Select the "create a hole" icon and create a square the size you want the circle to be.

Fillet that hole (radius = 1/2 hole size)

Set the rectangle to have a solid fill (match background) and edit the Linestyle to the same color.

Essentially you've created a "Mask" to cover the part of the detail you don't want to see.

Lighthouse,

Create a Rectangle just slightly larger than the Layout Box.

Select the "create a hole" icon and create a square the size you want the circle to be.

Fillet that hole (radius = 1/2 hole size)

Set the rectangle to have a solid fill (match background) and edit the Linestyle to the same color.

Essentially you've created a "Mask" to cover the part of the detail you don't want to see.

This is interesting. Using this method there is the possibility of keeping the detail LIVE..... I think. Might be more trouble than it is worth..... Thinking of details that may change once the engineer does his work, I.e. Retaining walls

I am travelling and don't have access to Chief, but I think you can use one of the cad modes to fillet the corners of a layout box. You can then drag the corners in to make the circle.

I did this just today. See the water color thread for a pic.

I am travelling and don't have access to Chief, but I think you can use one of the cad modes to fillet the corners of a layout box. You can then drag the corners in to make the circle.

Nuts, Glenn has the life, Off to Sumatra again Glenn ?

I tried selecting the layout border box, then going to edit behaviors and choosing the fillet tool.  So far, so good.  With the tool I'm able to fillet cad boxes that I have drawn on the layout sheet, but NOT the layout border box.  I thought I had a smart idea and changed the layer of the border box to the default CAD layer, but that did not solve it.   Joe, how the heck do you do it?  Now I'm obsessed!    btw, Richard thanks for your fence select suggestion- I do use that a lot, but it's still too slow to do each time I send something to layout.

Richard, I did that, and I got the fillet tool, but it does not fillet the corners of the box.  Maybe we are talking about different boxes-  I don't mean the layout border, I mean the bounding box that surrounds a given view that is sent to layout.  The box that you can "crop" the view with.

Lighthouse, When you select the "Fillet Edit Mode" you can then grab a corner handle of a Layout Box and pull it inward. This will fillet all corners at the same time.  That is how it works. It is very different from the normal Fillet Tool.

• Upvote 1