Configuring a wall to show siding on outside and GWB on the inside - How?

para-CAD

Can someone direct me to the literature or video that explains how to configure a wall to have siding on the outside part but remain finished GWB on the inside part?  

Every time I use the painter the inside wall (in the actual model room) converts to siding.  I'm hoping that there is an attic wall or something like that, that I can use along the slope of the roof to make one wall line out of two different wall types.

Thank you gentlemen.

post-6283-0-85498300-1436330745_thumb.png

Not sure about everything you are asking for

but as far as the siding showing on the wrong

side of the wall all you have to do is use the

"Reverse Layers" tool and it will put the siding

back on the outside and the sheetrock back

on the inside. 

post-126-0-06396800-1436336420_thumb.png

...The problem is that you get a mix rather than a complete change.

I'll disagree with this.  "Materials" are applied in a Room (Walls) > Room (Wall Covering) > Wall (Int & Ext) > Wall (Wall Covering) > Wall Material Region hierarchy.  When I "paint" a room, the underlying wall definitions do not change--they're still drywall (or brick, stone, etc., etc.).  This issue is truly hard to grasp. I suggest a nice process chart with visual examples, to understand how both the roller and paint can tools impact textures, walls, rooms, material lists & mental health.  CA, please get on this right after you fix stairs.  Thanks! 

jon

I'll disagree with this.  "Materials" are applied in a Room (Walls) > Room (Wall Covering) > Wall (Int & Ext) > Wall (Wall Covering) > Wall Material Region hierarchy.  When I "paint" a room, the underlying wall definitions do not change--they're still drywall (or brick, stone, etc., etc.).  This issue is truly hard to grasp. I suggest a nice process chart with visual examples, to understand how both the roller and paint can tools impact textures, walls, rooms, material lists & mental health.  CA, please get on this right after you fix stairs.  Thanks! 

jon

I agree with Jon,  I disagree with Joe.  It is not a mix....... unless you use the ROLLER....  I rarely use the ROLLER,  wrongly or rightly.  The ROLLER keeps the texture but changes the color.

I disagree with Perry,  I color walls all the time.  Exterior walls are much less of an annoyance than interior walls.  I rarely have issues painting walls.......  I should say I rarely have issues painting walls for the purpose I want to use the painted walls.

Greg,  I do not think it adds another layer.......  I do not know if I know what it does.....  whatever it does seems to work for me.  To be more specific,  I paint interior walls  (the drywall),  because when I do as builts the boy has a blue room and the girl a pink room.  I paint the walls the appropriate color and it works.  

If someone sees a reason why what I do does not work,  please explain.  It helps all of us if we can critique each others methods.

Like Perry I don't use the Painter much , I use the Wall DBX to change the Material/colour there,  as at least in the past I  saw too many weird things happening ,but that maybe better these days and I just haven't noticed due to the way I now work...?

Scott, you didn't say you paint, you said you color them, with what tool. You are aware of the pitfalls aren't you. How about the exterior?

Hmmmmm, good question, i will do a vid in the AM. I. Have painted with spray can, but I think I typically use rainbow tool to change color, maybe that is what you are referring to.

I will clarify in AM but good question.

Thinking about it more, I know I paint inside walls with spray can and I get paint color from Martha Stewart paint pallet.

I think I understand problems, but it has not been a problem for me.

I color stucco exterior walks using rainbow tool. Vid in AM.

I guess I wasn't clear.....I suffer from that occasionally.

The wall that is an interior-6 goes through both sides of the 12:12 roof.

I need it to remain an inside wall inside the 12:12 part..........and then become a siding-6 exterior wall on the outside, but following the 12:12 roof angle (not a vertical change like in using the split wall tool)  I guess this is not an automatic wall configuration?  It would be nice if the software "understood" that a roof line just caused a wall to transition from an ext to int and cut the siding to match the roof pitch/ angle.

I'll attach the plan, it's pretty jacked up.  The client has made all kinds of changes and I think I might just start over from scratch.  (I seriously need to get professionally trained)  I seem to have walls or floors always blocking the stairwell .......but that's for another thread......maybe there should be a noob section........for the basic stuff that us beginners haven't mastered yet.

Lot 1 Blk 4 revD.plan

You certainly tried EVERYTHING you could think of  :)    

I work by the hour if you need a hand :)

I didn't look inside to see if I ruined anything but the outside is mostly good now I think , you might want to look into using Auto Roofs more too and then use Manual planes when you need to and to fix issues CA can't , I fixed the Ceiling/roof in the front entry too.

M.

Lot 1 Blk 4 revD_MH.plan

• Upvote 1