Odd Shed Roof - can it be done?

waterfromdust

I have a client that is bidding a room addition. He insists that a shed roof can be used in this situation. I've racked my brain and worked around in CA plenty to know that this is impossible.

Am I missing something here? Is it possible to add a 3 and 12 shed roof here that lines up with the facia on the existing gable roofs ?

HERE is the plan file.

Thanks!

post-3220-0-88181900-1436317563_thumb.jpg

Shane, the quick response is much appreciated. However, that approach is too costly for this build out.

The contractor seems to think that it's possible with a 2 or 3 and 12 shed roof. I don't see how simply because a shed roof couldn't possibly wrap the corner and tie into the existing facia.

I've included a picture of the start of a shed roof that he is wanting. However, I can only provide a start due to the fact that I don't know how to build the shed roof that he is requesting. I've highlighted the new roof in the attached image.

post-3220-0-63572200-1436320047_thumb.jpg

I agree with Jimmy to do this you will need another roof lock the fascia if you want them the same then you will end up with another hip and 2 more valleys adjust your pitch to see what works the best or have different fascia heights

• Upvote 1

Well..... Here is one approach. This takes the

roof plane you started in post #3 and goes

about as far as you can with a roof plane with

a pitch of 2 in 12 and maintaining your fascia

height.

post-126-0-26236800-1436339976_thumb.png

post-126-0-98339900-1436339989_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

When I 1st looked at it I thought it would work  too ( the Contractor in me) from wall to old ridge (about 3deg.) but you end up with a weird side roof if you don't have the hip in there , but the choice would be the Owners I guess , since there is no budget to do it properly.

post-315-0-79755400-1436381531_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-11487100-1436381542_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well..... Here is one approach. This takes the

roof plane you started in post #3 and goes

about as far as you can with a roof plane with

a pitch of 2 in 12 and maintaining your fascia

height.

Nice solution Rich, understanding what the user wants is difficult some times, I think this is the best interpretation that could much his needs.

Yep. Those are about what I had come up with, with minor variation.  I will be posting the results after talking with the contractor. If somehow this guy figures out how to do what he is attempting, I will be sure to make a visit to the site with my camera and post pictures of the results.

Thanks a ton for the responses, everyone.