"Nitche in Walls" chiefarchitect tip by yusuf

yusuf-333

hi Yusef , I had a look  but I guess I am missing something as I didn't figure out what you did/how you did it from the video. :(    

Your video is clearer , so I think you used a better resolution , but your microphone was either in a bad place or it is just bad? I couldn't hear you though it sounded like you were talking ?

M.

Mick,

I have attached a vid explaining Yusuf's method.

I hope you don't mind Yusuf - it's a good tip.

http://screencast.com/t/y2wb28Rx

Oh well, thank you very much Glenn. I was preparing a plan with instructions on it, so that mick would understand it, fortunately glenn would say it much more clearer than me. Thanks again for the help Glenn, and here is also the plan I tried to put explanation on it.

Mick thanks for looking at it.

post-2517-0-69450400-1436234683_thumb.jpg

nitche plan.zip

Here is a pictorial presentation including the one, and only poison pick on this method! vector full overview may show exrtra lines, but all others are okay. Though, you can eliminate that lines if it is highly important.

post-2517-0-14456000-1436238503_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-53091900-1436238516_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-50812100-1436238531_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-53851300-1436238553_thumb.jpg

Well don't I feel special  --- a video and a special plan done for me  :) , thanks Guys , I missed that it was a material region and didn't click when the window wall was dragged into the other one.  

Will have a look at the plan notes etc too Thanks Yusef., another great tip.

I prefer niche symbols with transparent material regions blocked together.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4413-wall-niches-library-revised/?hl=niche

Actually much appreciated your method and it was very nice, but Joe I don't have to prefer my method because it is simply mine! I have to be reasonable while choosing alternatives. So I need you you to justify, why you prefer your method. I would list propose the parameters but not limited to

- the procedure complexity/simplicity regarding the components of the nitche symbols and flexibility when it comes to resizing, reshaping, copying/moving

- framing issues and the extent it resembles how actually it is built.

In general we have both brought some sort of solution to help ourselves and others, both methods may have their weaknesses and strength. And finally it depends on ones desire and preference. And let me say for sure Scott would applaud to my method if I was perry, but now not sure what he will say...just kidding but his silence on this thread made me realize it is near to perfect! Other wise the king of ct would have been the first to reject it. Scott is amazing, me and many others feel disappointed if he doesn't have his say on topics. That is because we respect him and appreciate him for the good works.

Yusuf,

Many niches are much more than just a framed opening the full depth of the wall.  They sometimes - such as the "Washer Hook-Up" have other items inside them.  Sometimes they have domed arches like a couple of my symbols.  Most of the time they have a back that is not simply one material.  The sides may be sloped, the niche may be only partially recessed, etc.

My reason for preferring the Symbol approach is the increased flexibility. 

Yusuf,

Many niches are much more than just a framed opening the full depth of the wall.  They sometimes - such as the "Washer Hook-Up" have other items inside them.  Sometimes they have domed arches like a couple of my symbols.  Most of the time they have a back that is not simply one material.  The sides may be sloped, the niche may be only partially recessed, etc.

My reason for preferring the Symbol approach is the increased flexibility.

OK thanks Joe, but can't we just use some window components, like window treatments and other facilities like I used in a previous thread on a circular window with curved lites and a dove inside it. And if all the above doesn't solve it, can't I just make a window symbol out of your nitche symbols and place it as we like? Any depth of inset and any thing else set.

OK thanks Joe, but can't we just use some window components, like window treatments and other facilities like I used in a previous thread on a circular window with curved lites and a dove inside it. And if all the above doesn't solve it, can't I just make a window symbol out of your nitche symbols and place it as we like? Any depth of inset and any thing else set.

Window Symbols don't inset into Walls in Plan View.  Other than that, yes you can probably do all of it with pieces - but how reuseable is it?

Window Symbols don't inset into Walls in Plan View. Other than that, yes you can probably do all of it with pieces - but how reuseable is it?

OK Joe, showing in plan is one thing you should handle manually here, but with no time you can hide the window nitche and place the exact cad block in plan, and I thing this the only pick, but time savior compared to the time it takes , blocking the hole, the nitche etc.. And unblocking and resizing each component parts of your niches, selection of components is also said to be difficult in your method.

Regarding the re use of my one, blinds are very effective tool that moves with window dims, so making the nitche symbol and converting it to symbol, again assigning that symbol as a blind for a path thru window reduces all that pain.

Here is one quick example.

Thanks joe

post-2517-0-09711500-1436308428_thumb.jpg