Line Weights

SNestor

Trying to figure out line weights.

My initial thought was that the OOB default line weight was for the most part workable...and new layers would only need modest tweaking. Uhh...no.

regarding line weight -

- am I wrong...can OOB line weights work?

- if not, what's the best way to figure out what does work.

Why hasn't CA done a training video on something so important to the production of CD's?

I have searched the Forum and I've read a lot of posts concerning this topic...but none answer the question completely.

I'm sure this is "basic" knowledge for those of you out there using Chief everyday to make a living...but I only use Chief occasionally and as such I struggle at times with the simple things.

Thanks

Steve,

The best advise I can give is to match the line weights of the old pen plotter days which were millimeters (mm).  They ranged from 15mm (thinest line) to 120mm.  From here it depends on your own preference.   If you want every line to be separated and clearly seen - stay below 25 mm.  I personally like bolder lines and am not as concerned about whether there is sheet rock or siding shown on a wall (although I do display them).  I am dimensioning to the main framing layer and like it to stand out.  

Years ago I drew single lines for walls and used a 70mm pen to print them; then switched to 35 mm for dimensions, 25mm for symbols that had a lot of lines.  

Kelly,

Those would be very thick lines.

I think you meant to say that the pen thicknesses range from .15mm to 1.2mm.

The OOB setting for line weights is a line weight of 1 = 1/100mm.

So that a line weight of 25 = .25mm.

Steve,

You don't really say exactly what troubles you are having with line weights.

OOB line weights work fine.

Exactly what troubles are you having?

Kelly,

Those would be very thick lines.

I think you meant to say that the pen thicknesses range from .15mm to 1.2mm.

The OOB setting for line weights is a line weight of 1 = 1/100mm.

So that a line weight of 25 = .25mm.

Steve,

You don't really say exactly what troubles you are having with line weights.

OOB line weights work fine.

Exactly what troubles are you having?

Yep that period is pretty important and that is what I meant.  Glad you cleared that up glenn I would hate to mislead anyone, however, it wouldn't have taken long for someone to realize that bad info. :)

Yep that period is pretty important and that is what I meant.  Glad you cleared that up glenn I would hate to mislead anyone, however, it wouldn't have taken long for someone to realize that bad info. :)

especially if you tried printing 5" wide lines (120mm)    :)

Do you still have the template plan I sent to you? I set my line weights different than others, but it works for me. 0 is the smallest, 20 is the largest. There are a couple other settings that need to be adjusted so that it works out on paper.

Do you still have the template plan I sent to you? I set my line weights different than others, but it works for me. 0 is the smallest, 20 is the largest. There are a couple other settings that need to be adjusted so that it works out on paper.

Joey - I do have your template and it's what I'm using for the most part. It works well...but I was confused because I was reading posts on the topic and I hadn't realized that my lineweights were different because you had modified them...with the 1/700 ratio...as compared to the std CA setting of 1/100.

I think I have a grip on this...at least I think I do.

If you really want to know what are considered to be industry standards for line weights for computer generated plans using advanced modeling programs then you might check out some of the publications on Revit.  Seems like I remember that being covered in one of my books on Revit Structures a few versions back.

That being said, the information being posted here is as valid as any in my book.  IMO the folks that have been using a 3D architectural modeling program such as Chief over a period of time have the experience to know what works for them in rather complex printing  situaltions.  My moto is "I buy experience all day long".

I use 1 / 700 IN not MM because this is 'murica da*mit! As for industry standards...most of those apply to Autowahatever or Revit. I print to PDF and then to an Epson or HP printer so I couldn't care less about pen tips and plotter sizes...non of that applies to the way I work, and more importantly, to the way I think. 0 is the smallest and 20 is the largest. Simple and easy in my head.

The out of box settings in Chief follow what is a fairly typical industry standard of line weights based on mm sizes. Although there are many "standards" out there so it is really hard to nail down what is most common. Since the majority of standards use mm we set things up to make it easy to follow that convention. It is rare to find standards that are setup to be in inches even in the US. I like to think of it in terms of the mechanical pencils that we see commonly. Typically these have leads of .5mm or .7mm. With the Chief 1/100 mm scaling these would translate to a line weight of 50 or 70. 50/100 = .5mm 70/100 = .7mm.

Beyond that line weights are a matter of taste. It is pretty easy to set up standards in Chief to match what you like regardless of whether you like to think of them in terms of mm or inches.

I just adjusted my line weights recently. I made myself a layout sheet with a bunch of lines from weights 1 to 40, then 50,60,70,80,90,100 and printed it. I found some of my defaults looked too heavy for my printer, so I was able to reduce the weights of a bunch of lines, which will save me a bit of ink every time I print. The national CAD standard might have something on lineweights, but I agree that it's a matter of taste as well. The quality of the printer and whether it's a laser or inkjet will affect the output too.