Pony Wall - Need Help

SNestor

Can someone show me how to build this wall assembly...which is constructed using 2 pony walls.  I cannot get the brick veneer to align...

The 2x6 frame wall sits on top of a 2x6 brick veneer wall....which then sits atop a foundation pony wall.  The top section of the foundation wall 4" concrete with a one inch air gap...and 3" of brick veneer...or what ever is needed to align with the brick veneer above it.

The lower section of the foundation is just an 8" concrete stem wall.  

I've had difficulty getting the brick veneer to align...I've tried everything I know...which isn't much...without luck. 

I've attached a section...If I need to attach a plan I'm sure someone will let me know.

Thanks much!

Pony Wall Section-Layout .pdf

Does this question really need a plan?  I mean...for us in Indianapolis...this wall section is just basic/standard...done every day on almost every home...and it should be simple to create in CA.  

I guess everything is simple if you know how to do it... 

Does this question really need a plan? .....

Great question,  I think it is very important to provide a plan.....  because those are the walls and defaults you are working with.  I could do it in my own plan,  but often times there will be something very subtle that will mess up the provided solution.  

So,  if you provide a plan,  the person providing the solution will be using the parameters that you are dealing with thus giving you a solution that will work with your default parameters.

Speaking from personal experience,  when I provide a solution without the OP's plan,  85% of the time is was wasted effort.

So just provide the plan,  if it is too much trouble for you to post the plan,  it will be too much trouble for me to help with a solution.

Besides,  it's funny,  when there is a plan,  in seconds you will get many people helping with the solution.  

Well...I guess I figured it out.  Not sure what I did...I just kept clicking different alignments until I got the walls to align.  I guess it has something to do with what walls you want as "main layers".   I saved the wall type to my library...I don't want to do this again if I don't have to.

If anyone can give me insight as to why/how on these type pony walls I'd be thankful.

Plan attached.

Pony Wall Section.plan

I am surprised a bit that that section PDF meets code with house really sitting on a 4x8" concrete wall with that large brick ledge rebate...

Walls always align outside of  main layer to outside of main layer , unless you have changed something , though I think Masonry walls are the only exception (Check Manual) which should align to the exterior of the brick or block.

ponywall alignment is also controlled in the wall's  DBX not just the Wall Definition DBX

post-315-0-10693700-1436125570_thumb.jpg

I am surprised a bit that that section PDF meets code with house really sitting on a 4x8" concrete wall with that large brick ledge rebate...

Walls always align outside of  main layer to outside of main layer , unless you have changed something , though I think Masonry walls are the only exception (Check Manual) which should align to the exterior of the brick or block.

ponywall alignment is also controlled in the wall's  DBX not just the Wall Definition DBX

attachicon.gifPony Wall alignment settings.JPG

Yea - that section is common in Indiana...has been for decades. The 4" stem on the foundation wall can be up to 24" tall. I don't think it's good practice...but yes it's legal.

If you look at the plan I posted you should realize that I do know where and how to use the wall DBX to set the alignment of the pony wall. I messed with these setting quite a bit and eventually got the brick to align as well as the conc wall. I'm just not sure which thing I did actually caused the wall to align.

Actually the wall still does not match the section I posted...in the section the brick actuall hangs over the ledge in the conc wall. The section truly represents actual field conditions. However...getting the pony walls to align in CA is good enough. I can live with the result.

I meant you can play with the alignments differently in each ponywall to align things like your PDF and also the wall width with the airgap and you can get this:

wall section.JPG

Your adjusted plan: Pony Wall Section_M1.plan

Thanks for taking your time to help. That plan helped me. I was on the right track - but mostly due to pure luck. I don't think designing pony walls in CA is a very intuitive process. The entire interface could use some improvement.

Thanks again. I'm one step closer to being able to say "I have a a clue" when using CA.

glad I could help , but you are right it takes a bit of "thinking" especially in this case and you are actually aligning 4 walls... I think due to the exception mentioned earlier CA ignores the main layer setting if the wall is masonry on the 1st floor and above as the masonry is considered the structural layer ( even though it isn't) but on basement walls it treats brick normally, which just confuses things even more. 

there is more info on Wall alignment in the Ref.manual page 289 , pg 291 mentions the exception.