Different ceiling heights

arunshah

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

Cannot figure out why there are two different ceiling heights in the room...In the ROOM SPECIFICATION tab there is a message: "Ceiling values may not be changed as the floor abvoe this room has varying heights". 

Thank you!

Chief Premier X7
Build: 17.3.1.1x64
Windows 7

post-6257-0-64304500-1436036938_thumb.jpg

I'd need to poke around the plan to answer for sure.  So post the plan if you want.   But it looks like you might have one value assigned on the first floor (ceiling height) and another value on the second floor (ceiling below).  In Chief Architect, when there's a conflict, the floor above governs.

I had the same problem when working on the first floor. I had unknowingly created different wall heights on the second floor while attempting to draw a cape cod roof. I did a full overview and discovered that my second floor wall heights were different. As I remember, I then made all the second floor wall the same heights and,  Voilà. All was good again. I hope I am remembering correctly.

I saw this recently , if you draw exterior walls on the 2nd floor over the lower walls of the Family room , it will give you room definition in that L shaped area , which you can then define as ATTIC space and the Roof will then build off the 1st floor wall plates which it isn't doing right now , not sure why... perhaps someone else can explain it?

post-315-0-22184400-1436042955_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Cannot figure out why there are two different ceiling heights in the room...In the ROOM SPECIFICATION tab there is a message: "Ceiling values may not be changed as the floor abvoe this room has varying heights". 

Thank you!

Chief Premier X7
Build: 17.3.1.1x64
Windows 7

You made a very subtle mistake.  You changed the height of the ceiling of the family room before you built the top floor.  It is no longer the default ceiling height.

Quick easy fix,  go to top floor,  select all walls,  define as non room def,  go back to family room,  change the ceiling to default heigh  (120")  now go back to top floor,  select all walls and make room def.

All will be well.

If my #$&%$^^$%&*(*^&  videos would upload,  you can watch the vid.

Great vid and great trick to change upper walls to no room def. - I will use that trick and thank you.

This has caught me out numerous times but I'm wondering if your diagnosis is correct that the user changed the ceiling height then built the upper floor? Why and under what circumstance would they do that? Especially in this case, why would a user change the height of that entire room to something as off the wall as 126 3/4"?

I think Chief did it. My theory is that Chief will make subtle changes as well based on factors not so obvious and those changes change the ceiling height unbeknownst to the user. This theory of course cannot be proven except under some kind of perfectly controlled condition that's repeatable but I'll bet the steps could be reproduced (not by me I tried for way too long) that caused that change and I also think it's one of those secret parts of Chief that will catch most users in the same situation.

If I'm wrong and the user actually went to that room and changed the height to 126 3/4" then its simple user error and something I'll be very aware of in the future. If it took something else that the user was completely unaware of then Chief needs to find a way to change its behavior, make it more predictable, or add a warning about changing the default ceiling height. 

All that is not to diminish that great vid nor the great tip you posted - it will save me hours of work in the future. Thanks again.

I think Chief did it. My theory is that Chief will make subtle changes as well based on factors not so obvious and those changes change the ceiling height unbeknownst to the user. 

My first thought is,   no CA did not change it....  but now I am not so sure as I think about it a bit more........  I will have to retract my earlier statement that I have never run this situation......  I have.  I have seen that the ceiling height will be higher than the floor ceiling height and I could swear that I did not change the ceiling height.

The way I have fixed this in the past is by creating the attic as I showed in the video.

Summation:  The OP may have changed default ceiling height prior to building the floor which would explain how the OP ended up in the predicament......  but based on past experience,  it may not of been user error,  but CA reacting to some subtle setting or order of building that the OP used......   at least now the OP and myself will know of a possible fix for the situation.

My first thought is,   no CA did not change it....  but now I am not so sure as I think about it a bit more........  I will have to retract my earlier statement that I have never run this situation......  I have.  I have seen that the ceiling height will be higher than the floor ceiling height and I could swear that I did not change the ceiling height.

The way I have fixed this in the past is by creating the attic as I showed in the video.

Summation:  The OP may have changed default ceiling height prior to building the floor which would explain how the OP ended up in the predicament......  but based on past experience,  it may not of been user error,  but CA reacting to some subtle setting or order of building that the OP used......   at least now the OP and myself will know of a possible fix for the situation.

Agree Scoot - well stated.

Yep good tip ....

If you had set the new Room to ATTIC, at the end of the vid , the roof would of dropped back down to sit on your new 6" floor structure BTW. 

With Auto Roofs on, you have to ignore the 3D windows if you have one open , until you are finished making your settings or you are likely to think you did something wrong as you get some super crazy roofs sometimes till you are said and done. 

I don't think Chief did it by itself, without touching the keyboard, will it change, something caused it.

It happened when I changed the ceiling height from 10 ft to 9 ft. in Default settings after the entire house was modeled. For some reason, Chief did not lower the wall height in that particular room with roof above it. Scott's method to change the ceiling height worked very well.

Arun

• 4 months later...

Here is the vid.  A good vid,  I doubt this has been discussed.

http://youtu.be/MRr4foCeyXg

Good vid.

Usually the "Ceiling values may not be changed......" notice is not a problem. But...I'm working a plan for a demo / remodel which has 8', 9' 10' and 13' ceilings.

Trying to do several quick preliminary concept plans and that message is driving me crazy. I would send in a plan, but I can hardly understand what's going on at this point, let alone someone looking for the first time.

I just wish the program would let me know it thinks I have varying heights above (actually I don't,) and I let me worry about it. I'm spending more time trying to fix than I am drawing.

I don't remember running into that error in past versions. Maybe it just never occurred, or it wasn't part of the program. If it wasn't I seemed to have gotten along fine without it. For this project I would like to go back in versions, does anyone know which, if any previous versions did not include this "feature"

In the future, I hope CA give me a choice of whether I want it to stop me working, or let me proceed, even if the floor above has varying heights.

Good vid.

Usually the "Ceiling values may not be changed......" notice is not a problem. But...I'm working a plan for a demo / remodel which has 8', 9' 10' and 13' ceilings.

Trying to do several quick preliminary concept plans and that message is driving me crazy. I would send in a plan, but I can hardly understand what's going on at this point, let alone someone looking for the first time.

I just wish the program would let me know it thinks I have varying heights above (actually I don't,) and I let me worry about it. I'm spending more time trying to fix than I am drawing.

I don't remember running into that error in past versions. Maybe it just never occurred, or it wasn't part of the program. If it wasn't I seemed to have gotten along fine without it. For this project I would like to go back in versions, does anyone know which, if any previous versions did not include this "feature"

In the future, I hope CA give me a choice of whether I want it to stop me working, or let me proceed, even if the floor above has varying heights.

Agreed, this has become pretty annoying.  The 'ceiling values' message has been around, but it seems exceptionally pernicious under X7.  For me as I advance a job, ceiling heights, floor heights tend to be in flux until a final design is agreed upon.  So it is a forgone conclusion dimension mistakes between floors are going to occur.  The clean-up has become considerably tedious. 

I have identified attic rooms on a second floor tend to create the most trouble, as this thread indicates.  Moreover, even if one sets all the parameters correctly for all floors - those errant dimensions tend to hang around under the structure tab even if the model registers and draws correctly.    

You made a very subtle mistake.  You changed the height of the ceiling of the family room before you built the top floor.  It is no longer the default ceiling height.

Quick easy fix,  go to top floor,  select all walls,  define as non room def,  go back to family room,  change the ceiling to default heigh  (120")  now go back to top floor,  select all walls and make room def.

All will be well.

If my #$&%$^^$%&*(*^&  videos would upload,  you can watch the vid.

Remarkable. I really dislike that this kind of 'rubberband' solution is necessary to clean up ceiling heights that's gone a astray. We really need a proper level/storey pole tool in X9 to balance the reigning room paradigm.

We've seen instances of Chief changing ceiling heights in plans with some rooms non-standard floor or ceiling elevations.  They are aware and are, I believe, addressing it.