Custom Wall Type

Paramount

my guess  is your exterior and interior wall layers are not 1/16th , so change those as needed eg to 1/2" beadboard and 1/2" Drywall or ????

once you have the beadboard on the wall , use/click the Define Material Tool (aka the Rainbow Tool)   ( see Pic)  and click on your exterior Wall , and in the resulting DBX click on the material color and choose another , or use the eyedropper tool in the color window at bottom left, to get the color of another window/website or whatever you like.Then on the Texture Tab select  "Blend with Texture" box. and hit ok 

To save it for the future, go into the Wall's DBX>material tab>exterior wall>select material ,find the BBoard in the list and on the right add it to your library. 

post-315-0-53899500-1435967523_thumb.jpg

M.

Thanks for the help! I notice the rainbow tool changes my wall default setting. 

To save it for the future, go into the Wall's DBX>material tab>exterior wall>select material ,find the BBoard in the list and on the right add it to your library. 

Mick, See attached. When I tried this I get an error. If I try it again or save over the Bead Board my computer crashes. It won't delete from my user cat w/o an error. If you try and delete the other items in my library you get an error. I think my entire library is corrupt and it may cause model issues, loss of work? 

See PIC and model attached. 

post-5962-0-36492100-1436099583_thumb.jpg

ParaFlex.plan

I would send the Error message to Tech Support , in case it is serious, ( some kind of Disk error?)  it does not happen on my Computer with your plan when I save your new Beadboard to my library.

Another Tip is when you redefine a material like that is to rename the new Material then , at the same time in the DBX when changing the Colour , so you don't end up with duplicate Names that are actually different Materials.

here is your Beadboard material Paramount's Beadboard.calibz

Mick, I submitted a ticket they were very fast and responsive. I'm quite please with their support and out here. The fix, close Chief rename the "Database Library" to old, Open Chief let it generate a new one problem solved. Import old files to new in Chief. 

From what understand material files do not store on our hard drives, they store in chief. No wonder I could not find them in my Chief folders on my hard drive. 

Mick, I submitted a ticket they were very fast and responsive. I'm quite please with their support and out here. The fix, close Chief rename the "Database Library" to old, Open Chief let it generate a new one problem solved. Import old files to new in Chief. 

From what understand material files do not store on our hard drives, they store in chief. No wonder I could not find them in my Chief folders on my hard drive. 

it sounds  like your User Database Library was corrupted somehow ? one possibility is still a failing Harddrive so I wouldn't ignore these kinds of errors if they continue.

( for future readers, with similar errors it is in the following folder by default, rename the Folder and CA rebuilds it on next start) 

My Documents\Chief Architect Premier X7 Data\Database Libraries 

- CA also uses   My Documents\Chief Architect Premier X7 Data\Textures folder for imported textures , CA unzips these folders internally when needed , don't touch them yourself.

- I think you couldn't find the other libraries as they are hidden by Windows by default as they are in the ProgramData folder which Microsoft hides by default , you need to "show hidden files and Folders" in Windows Explorer to see the folder.

- There is also an article on the KB about manually getting the Core and Reference Library files and reinstalling them if needed, which I normally do for Longterm backup ( Burn to DVD) ie so if you never upgrade X7 again ,you will have access to the files even if CA no longer supports X7 online. 

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02899/

- this KB is good too if you want to back the Libraries up for the future

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00091/

This may be a silly question due to my limited CA experience but is it bad practice to modify folders on your drive or should we only do the modifications through Chief software programs (eg. create new materials, library files, and folders) ?

I followed the instructions for my z-fighting that didn't work so I submitted another ticket. Will inform the response. When I relocated my plan to 0,0 it put it in the upper right hand corner of my sheet with little room for terrain? I asked for a response to that too. I want to know the best place to start new plans in the future to min. z-fighting, and an easy way to do that (start at 0,0 ). 

post-5962-0-40161300-1436269400_thumb.jpg

Terry,

Use the Imput Point tool to place a point at absolute 0,0 in your template plan. 

You can either leave the cad point or delete it after getting a suitable screen size and saving the template plan.

Next time you open Chief, the location and zoom size will be remembered.

If you start your plan anywhere on screen, it will be close enough to 0,0 to not cause a problem.

You can drag the drawing sheet wherever you want in relation to the plan.

Select the drawing sheet and drag it with the center drag handle.

Bear in mind that the drawing sheet in plan is only useful if you want to print directly from plan view.

More often than not, most users would send the plan to layout and print from there.

I did what Glenn describes above and placed a Marker in my Template Plan ,with the View zoomed so it is in the bottom LH Corner of my Window and saved my Template ,then it opens with that view each time and a quick glance tells me I am good to go. 

You can toggle Print Preview on and off with the Icon on the RH sidebar when you don't need too.

It is CA's zipped textures  you shouldn't play with or alter as CA uses them internally , other than that you can add folders etc no problem , under Preferences you can see all the Folders CA uses by default for different things, use the Show All button for those not in the DBX

post-315-0-70596300-1436286455_thumb.jpg

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I called in about my z-fighting ticket today that got elevated to a "developer" and the status I got is that there is a known issue with doors that is being worked on. I have it on my soffits too we'll see when I get notified of the fix. They said I am good to keep working it only affects 3d.