Legend and symbols in Layout

Context

I am creating my template for layout with a construction notes page.  On this page I want to put  General Symbols and Legend.  When I go to my Library browser and find an electrical outlet for instance, it won't let me put it in with a CAD box or just on the page. What's up with that?

You can place an outlet floating in space but the electrical items from the library don't seem to want to drop into layout. You would need to build your legend in a plan file and then bring the legend from the plan file to the layout file. Or make a cad based one that you store in the library and then drop into layout. See image for an easy outlet to float for creating the legend.

post-170-0-83519700-1435990254_thumb.jpg

My electrical legend which is partially made from cad lines for the electrical items

post-170-0-17261600-1435990548_thumb.jpg

Chiefs legend location

post-170-0-23760900-1435990674_thumb.jpg

• Downvote 1

I do all my electrical legends in a cad detail. To get the cad block (not the symbol), either place the "cad block management" tool on your toolbar and get it there or go to the cad tab at the top toolbar and go down to "cad block management" and get the cad block there to place in the plan or cad detail. If your not sure which cad block it is then go to the plan and select the symbol>open symbol (not open item) and check to see what the cad block name is for that symbol.  

Good tip Tommy

Context.....to place a CAD Block  in your Plan from the CAD Management Tool , find the one you want on the list and click the insert button , and you can then drop it ,with a click onto your plan page. 

Want another tip? If you insert the cad block for the telephone from the cad block management, the cad block comes with fill. You'll have to unblock it and remove the fill if you want it to match the cad block that is assigned to the symbol in the plan.

• 6 months later...

You can place an outlet floating in space but the electrical items from the library don't seem to want to drop into layout. You would need to build your legend in a plan file and then bring the legend from the plan file to the layout file. Or make a cad based one that you store in the library and then drop into layout. See image for an easy outlet to float for creating the legend.

attachicon.giffloater.JPG

My electrical legend which is partially made from cad lines for the electrical items

attachicon.giflegend.JPG

Chiefs legend location

attachicon.gifnot mine.JPG

The problem is that I have the interiors version - no wonder I am struggling!  I don't have those options in this version of Chief - Grrrrr.

The problem is that I am using the Interiors version of this program.  It's dumbed down and doesn't have notes and legends - no wonder I am struggling.  Grrrrr.  Since when do interior designers not use notes and legends???????  Grrrrr.

I started on Interiors and whined at CA about that and a few other things for a year or two. At that time I was exporting to CAD and importing. When I finally could afford it I bit the bullet and upgraded to Premier- should have done it sooner instead of running into a wall. I quickly recovered the the cost in productivity quickly as soon as I started using annosets.

Thanks Mark, I have figured that out, too.  I think it's a way to get more users that are reluctant to foot the bill for the entire program.  Unfortunately, I really don't need much more than what is offered, but the annosets, would be nice.

Actually they talked me down from Premier to begin with-"you really don't need that"

I just disagree with how it is named/marketed.

I don't use terrain, rarely roofs, rarely framing (but handy occasionally)- other features are worth the cost : detail to view (for cabinet openings and as built plans) project browser and annosets for convenience and speed. Besides it's a one time cost-still cheaper than 2020 and much better- support is the same cost for Premier and Interiors I believe.