Stop railing wall from attacing to another normal wall

Larry_Sweeney

I'm trying to run a railing wall to within 3" of a normal wall that is running perpendicular to the railing wall. I was thinking I could draw a cad line at 3" and that would prevent the railing wall from attaching to the other wall. Either that's not the case or I need to check a dbx somewhere. Am I wrong or is there a way to stop them from attaching?

You are quite welcome.  This trick can work out pretty good when you want to place something right up against another wall as well by setting the width of the invisible wall to something very thin.  Yeah, but the CAD line won't stop it from connecting though from what I remember.  I haven't used any other method since I came across this way of doing it.

Perry........I keep forgetting about that. So what you're saying means that I could pull all the surfaces back 3" from the connection. I don't know if that would work in my case. I was making a railing wall on a stairs and wanted to stop the wall 3" back from another wall for space for a 1/2 newel post (millwork) With it "connecting" to the "millwork" newel post the spacing of the balusters were all spaced equal. If I would use the "edit wall layer intersection tool" and pull back the surfaces would the spacing of the balusters change? I'll have to play with this idea and see what the outcome will be. Have a great day.