New Walls in Demo Openings

briantkane

I'm working on a remodel plan that will show demolition and proposed constructions separately. I can't seem to show a "new wall" in a demo door opening. Any suggestions? (I would like to control these on separate demo and new layers)

you would have to use cad lines for one or the other, CA doesnt let you have 2 walls in the same location.

I have a seperate plan file for the original which shows the demo walls and then a second plan file for the new conditionshowing existing and new walls.

I second Kiwideziner's method for doing remodeling plans (I always create an "As-built" that is relationally correct and then save that as the "Remodel Plan" that I apply the changes to), doing so then makes it easy to place such views side by side to communicate changes.

DJP

For showing the existing walls on the remodeled floor use a background cad mask, don't use walls, it confuses Chief, Take the existing floor plan, turn off everything you don't want to see, then make a view to cad, block it and copy it to the remodeled plan. Make sure your lineweight for whatever layer you put it on is maybe a 10 or 12 in dark gray. Now whenever you remove a wall the existing will show up on the plan. This method just makes for a cleaner model.

post-113-0-38018700-1396385458_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

If you need a new wall in an existing opening, you could use a CAD block in the existing wall to illustrate the existing opening. Then use a new wall segment in/over the existing wall/CAD block combo. The new wall will need to have the no locate wall definition checked in the wall dbx.

If you need a new wall in an existing opening, you could use a CAD block in the existing wall to illustrate the existing opening. Then use a new wall segment in/over the existing wall/CAD block combo. The new wall will need to have the no locate wall definition checked in the wall dbx.

I think Mike is confusing things.   I barely understand what Graehme is saying,  I am not sure what DJP is agreeing to,  Perry spelled it out,  easy peasy.  If the other guys have a better method than what Perry said,  I am all ears.  Of course as a newbie,  the OP probably does not understand how to implement what Perry is  talking about,  lucky for the OP there are many videos out there detailing the process.......  I think CA did a vid on this and.......  yep,  I am sure I did one somewhere.

The OP  should do a search and he will find much clearer explanation and probably a video fully explaining the process since this subject has been discussed many times.

I'm working on a remodel plan that will show demolition and proposed constructions separately. I can't seem to show a "new wall" in a demo door opening. Any suggestions? (I would like to control these on separate demo and new layers)

I'm going to do a demonstration on how to show existing walls with proposed walls for a remodeling plan at our User Meeting this evening. If you would like to sit in and/or ask questions, then email me at my address below. Our meeting starts at 6:00pm (central time) and it's free. I use GoToMeeting. Thought I might let you know incase you're still having problems doing this.

One thing to keep in mind with the method Perry descibes (which is the right way to do it), make sure you know how you will show the walls in your plan view. If you show your walls as "Main Layer Only", do your view to CAD the same. If you show layers on your floor plan view make sure to include them in the cad. this way the various lines will overlap properly. Then, once you paste your cad detail block into the plan view, choose Line Style -> Drawing Group -> Back Group so the dashed lines fall to the background except where you have removed a wall.

Edit, that may be 2 or 3 things to keep in mind but I am not good with math.

One thing to keep in mind with the method Perry descibes (which is the right way to do it), make sure you know how you will show the walls in your plan view. If you show your walls as "Main Layer Only", do your view to CAD the same. If you show layers on your floor plan view make sure to include them in the cad. this way the various lines will overlap properly. Then, once you paste your cad detail block into the plan view, choose Line Style -> Drawing Group -> Back Group so the dashed lines fall to the background except where you have removed a wall.

Edit, that may be 2 or 3 things to keep in mind but I am not good with math.

Alan, what you and Perry say is correct and is what I plan to demonstrate. There is one more important step you all left out but you are correct.

I do not want to steal Tommy's thunder but.....  I cut to  CAD,  group select,  paste in place in plan ON IT'S OWN LAYER,    confirm line style,  line wt is per layer,  and I am done.

I do not need to block it and I do not need to send it to back.......  cannot explain why I do not have to do that but I don't......  might have to do with the fact the the line weight is less than that of the 3D WALLS.

For the newbies,  I would recommend attending  Tommy's seminar,  there is usually something good you will learn.