Existing gable with upper hip over combination of gable wall types

PHI1313

Go to solution Solved by chief58,

I am ashamed to say how long I have spent on this, so I will not. I am not new to Chief but I may as well be since I have  not learned the new product for about ten years. Most of the stuff I knew does not work anymore.

I drew all the existing walls, interior and exterior, for a cape cod that we are to remodel in both the first and second floor.  I did all of the structure parts, but did not draw the roof until last.

My problem is that there are three wall types and four separate walls in the gable wall separating the main house from a bedroom wing with a jalousie porch. Then the house has a clipped (high hip) roof.

I can make the roof work almost correctly if I replace the combination of walls between the house and the wing (the first floor gable wall) with a masonry exterior wall for both the first and second floor. But this messes up the first floor rooms and when I correct the rooms by cutting and pasting from the original saved, but uncompleted plan, the roof messes up.

I finally lined up all of the "correct types of walls" in the gable wall so there is one exterior plane, and got the gable (and roof) to work close to correct (there should be a four inch roof overhang at the cable, but the best I could do is a six inch). But, when I place the high hip with the correct dimensions, the hip goes too low into the second floor room.  I guess I can keep raising the high hip until the second floor ceilings are no longer sloped, but that may cause other problems and I believe it should work with the correct dimensions, The high hip roof worked with the wrong gable wall in place, but not with the correct "combination of walls" as one-gable-wall in place.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, for stairs, they extend from the first floor subfloor upward to the bottom of the upper floor top star rise??  I think I saw that somewhere, but I am getting braindead from viewing videos.

I am confused reading what I just wrote, but it seems accurate so I hope you are you ate not confused.

Thanks,

Tom

Good roof overview.zip

6-20-15 aaa 2nd hip too low Existing 2nd floor layout.zip

post-4946-0-67026500-1435795007_thumb.jpg

post-4946-0-68102300-1435795037_thumb.jpg

We call that a dutch hip there is 2 ways you can build a roof at the same fascia height as the original roof and then raise it like 8'-0" then break the gable roofs and connect them or make a new floor and put the hip on the upper floor, what version are you using and would help to post the plan

Thank you Chief58,

How did you arrive at raising the roof 12”? Was it trial and error or measuring the distance the roof was off or just plain magic? Or did it work the way it was supposed to for an automatic upper hip and you did something to correct a mistake I made?

Anyway, Thanks

Tom

Tom I just open that roof dbx and locked the pitch then raised the facia 12", once I did that I joined the roof with the join roof too or the # 2 on the key board, it should work by building that roof on the upper floor then move the other roofs up to where you can see them along with the other one use the break tool which I use # 3 to break then connect them with 2 and adjust as needed. Coming from a construction background being a builder in the field for many years I learned how to build my roofs manually and like doing it that way for me because of understanding how I want things to come together and where they should be on the plan, also  I would make the suggestion to learn annotation sets they work really well when they are setup.Learning these 2 tools has made doing plans so much easier and quicker, when it comes to construction documents, doing electrical plans, framing plans and elevations etc.