Staircase with a partial section of full wall?

SusanC

I have watched all of the staircase videos and am still struggling with a wall question.  I have a staircase into a basement and the first 60", going down into the basement, is a full wall, then the railing begins.  I understand how to get the wall to generate, by drawing the wall under the staircase, setting the contraction distance for the winders, and clicking on F12 to get the full wall to generate, but I am finding that it only works if the wall is a minimum of 74" long.  If I try to make the wall 60" long, the full wall refuses to generate.  Is this normal?  Is there a minimum length that wall has to be in order to generate as a full height wall?  Seems odd and I must be doing something incorrectly.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still finding this full wall to be very unstable and constantly needing to regenerate it with the f12 button every time I open up the plan.  Is there something I'm missing with the settings, like a minimum or maximum distance to set the contraction distance for the winders?  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Susan