Find and Replace Text

ACADuser

OK, I have to update plans for the code change to 2014 code ILO 2010.

I have this text in plan & layouts files & maybe a block.

How does one do a "Find & Replace" of " 2010" in plans & layouts?

As a bonus how about block with text in them?

I could do that for this particular item but in the future what is one to do?

You can't put every part number or special text in a macro form.

The "Find & Replace" is a basic text tool IMO.

I am truly shocked that is not in this software.

While I'm ranting, where is the "Change Text Case" tool?

If you had put those in a text macro, change it once for all instances of that text. Try it, macro's are very easy to make changes even on a job by job basis.

Listen to Perry....  he is the maestro for this.....  macros for General notes ....  in fact macros for just about every note.....  I love Perry's method.......

Listen to Perry....  he is the maestro for this.....  macros for General notes ....  in fact macros for just about every note.....  I love Perry's method.......

oops,  I was not being smart because I did not acknowledge the request,  I agree there should be a find and replace text tool,  but even more powerful would be adapting the Perry Method....  much more control.

I would also like a find and replace tool.  However, IMO it should be built into all text tools.

Currently I just keep NotePad open and whenever I need to edit a large amount of text I copy/paste it into NotePad, make my edits there and copy paste back into my Text Editing dbx.

Another feature that would be really nice would be "suggested words" like we have on our cell phones for sending text messages.

I just had to read every note in the layout file 17 sheets because I drop notes in the layouts to avoid cluttering the plan file.

A simple FIND would have been useful.

"suggested words", that would be too good. :)

Having a find and replace tool would be a very nice addition to the program.

Alan,

It is possible with a little digging and editing of the spellchecker files that Chief uses, to use it as a find and replace.

The method is to get the spellchecker to recognise 2010 as a misspelling and change it to 2014.

Let me know if you would like me to do a demo.

Doug,

I think you use a third party spell checker?

Could it somehow be incorporated as part of that tool?

I have had some success in the past by editing the spell checker files to find and replace text - as per Alan's example above.

Well the scenario is that the "Find & Replace" will search every TEXT object & replace with a yes no form the user.

It does not display the complete text or take you to that layout,

Here is an example of Autocad Find & Replace.

I entered 20##  to find 20 followed by 2 numbers

Then I have the option to replace or continue searching.

post-2435-0-46163200-1435882531_thumb.png

Alan,

All I am suggesting is that until we get a Find and Replace in Chief, it may be possible, with a bit of sculldugery, to use Chiefs Spell Check tool to do what you want.

It just means that you have to edit a couple of system files to do it.

This would be worthwhile when there are a lot of instances to find and replace in a large drawing. 

This works pretty much the same as you describe for AC.

post-106-0-38114700-1435883253_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...