Porch Roof

mountaineer

Mountaineer:

If you want a gable on your 3:12 deck roof outlining your entry door you can do that auto build BUT, before you can get the roof to come out properly, you need to determine exactly where the 3:12 and 10:12 roof pitches intersect ... therefore you need to know the distance in from the baseline or the elevation of the intersection point.  Without knowing that, this is what you will get:

post-191-0-91801600-1435764409_thumb.jpg

If you must try to do this roof in auto build mode, what I recommend you do is manually build a short 10:12 roof on the side of the house opposite the front deck; select it and copy/reflect around the center axis of your main house to paste it on the front deck side; change the roof pitch to 3:12 and build a short roof section over your deck wall; then select the up-pitch side of the 3:12 roof plane, hit #2 (connect roof planes), and select the lower edge of the adjacent 10:12 roof plane to join them.  Where the 3:12 and 10:12 roof planes intersect is where you get the missing information.  I would suggest just measuring from the outer edge of your deck railing wall to the roof planes intersection point (do this in plan view).  Select and copy that horizontal measurement into the railing walls roof tab for upper roof pitch distance from baseline.  Knowing that and having it put in the dialog should allow you to auto build the roof.

But, why not just do it manually ... your done in a jiffy and probably takes much less time.

post-191-0-87408100-1435765522_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I want house roof plane to bear on house exterior wall without having a heal added to a truss. I want to use common 10/12 truss on house with a hand framed porch with a 4/12 pitch roof plane and keep porch same ceiling height as house plan. Cross sections should explain it. 

post-4392-0-37775300-1435766579_thumb.png

post-4392-0-32273400-1435766591_thumb.jpg

Mountaineer:

Your 2nd floor wall is out of alignment with your 1st floor wall on the porch side ... that's why there's a chunk of stuff sticking above the roof.  Also, some of your foundation walls are out of alignment with your 1st floor walls ... and you need to move the attic porch gable wall in to align with the end wall of the house as well.

Haven't looked at much else.  Fun looking project.

• Upvote 1

To get the gable, I 1st drew a CAD line from the door center point out past the railing wall; then I selected and copied that line ±5' ea. way which gives me an exact location in which to place the wall breaks needed for the gable.  Then just select that new railing wall segment; change the pitch to the lower value - put the check mark in for gable wall and should be good to go.  Use whatever distances (gable width) you want.  I think 4:12 pitch for the porch and gables would look better.  3:12 just looks too flat for my eye.

I want house roof plane to bear on house exterior wall without having a heal added to a truss. I want to use common 10/12 truss on house with a hand framed porch with a 4/12 pitch roof plane and keep porch same ceiling height as house plan. Cross sections should explain it.

without playing with it , I think you will have an issue as trusses automatically delete hand framing if placed in the same location , some playing around with a framing reference and spacings might help with that ?

M.

Mick:

I sort of think you are right but look at the following image:

post-191-0-72453600-1435786016_thumb.jpg

To get that look (porch rafter over a truss), I first pulled the porch roof back toward the middle; then created a truss (I had to edit its length, then its shape as shown ... Used a CAD line on-plane with the roof to get the porch part of the truss looking as is); then put in a porch roof rafter by dragging from the railing in to the intersection point of the roof planes; then I made a copy of the rafter and did a Point to Point move to get it right over the truss.  I also experimented with trying to place a sleeper on the 10:12 roof for the porch rafters to bear on but Chief will change the sleeper pitch once most of the sleeper in under the shallower pitch.  I suppose that maybe a sleeper wouldn't be needed if the rafters are setting on the trusses???

I was expecting Chief to go into some sort of auto redo all that work mode but it didn't ... things stayed put as shown.  So maybe you can get the framing to look sort of OK in 3D framing views.  It might look better if a custom rafter was created from PL solids and shaped as it would be made in real and then copied across the roof area where needed. 

I got other things to do now so someone else can play with it.

Yusuf:

We've got two different users that have questions.  Shane wants the porch roof framed with rafters.  I would do it as you show under the assumption that porch roof portion can be built with the same trusses for the rest of the structure ... which I am sure it could.  You're not missing nothing and your apples turned out perfect.

Yusuf:

We've got two different users that have questions.  Shane wants the porch roof framed with rafters.  I would do it as you show under the assumption that porch roof portion can be built with the same trusses for the rest of the structure ... which I am sure it could.  You're not missing nothing and your apples turned out perfect.

OK curt thank you very much, but what is wrong with the rafters?

Hi,

@ 1st Mountaineer ,apologies for mixing your thread up with Shane's issue as well , thankfully Curt has helped with your issue .

@ Yusef , no ,that's right , CA has no issue doing Trusses fully width including the Porch and  that is like how many new homes would be built but in a renovation situation or were it is just cheaper to buy standard 10/12 trusses "off the rack"  , you may want to hand frame the porch roof with 2x10 rafters or similar. ( you should get x7 trial version? perhaps)

However Chief will replace (delete) any rafter/ceiling joist that is too close to a truss ,which is an issue for a total Auto Build roof, but Trusses are not auto build anyway so it is not too much extra work to make Chief do what you need , in either Shane's Roof configuration ( few CAD lines to work out the "in from baseline height and for editing the 1st truss shape , or the Way Chief builds a double pitch roof with the truss bearing on the wall.

After having a play tonight , there are a couple of anomalies , like the end truss building out to the porch beam unlike the other trusses, which stop on the wall , if the wall is set with a 1 1/2" overhang, so they need editing too. The porch get the end ceiling joists but not the rest , an easy fix and the same with Rafters depending on how y you do it it seems. (need to play more?) But here are a few pics of what I found..... if you need the plans let me know....

post-315-0-84545900-1435799763_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-64659400-1435799774_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-44442300-1435799784_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-89770600-1435799792_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-67712200-1435799811_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-20992300-1435799833_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-32048200-1435799846_thumb.jpg

The porch get the end ceiling joists but not the rest , an easy fix and the same with Rafters depending on how y you do it it seems. (need to play more?)

Mick, actually this not how we build, but I just want to know how it is, I just gave a try and found this things, can this fulfill what you said above?

post-2517-0-89492400-1435803122_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-20209500-1435803145_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-34633000-1435803155_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mountaineer:

If you want a gable on your 3:12 deck roof outlining your entry door you can do that auto build BUT, before you can get the roof to come out properly, you need to determine exactly where the 3:12 and 10:12 roof pitches intersect ... therefore you need to know the distance in from the baseline or the elevation of the intersection point.  Without knowing that, this is what you will get:

attachicon.gifCruzRoof-AutoBuild.JPG

If you must try to do this roof in auto build mode, what I recommend you do is manually build a short 10:12 roof on the side of the house opposite the front deck; select it and copy/reflect around the center axis of your main house to paste it on the front deck side; change the roof pitch to 3:12 and build a short roof section over your deck wall; then select the up-pitch side of the 3:12 roof plane, hit #2 (connect roof planes), and select the lower edge of the adjacent 10:12 roof plane to join them.  Where the 3:12 and 10:12 roof planes intersect is where you get the missing information.  I would suggest just measuring from the outer edge of your deck railing wall to the roof planes intersection point (do this in plan view).  Select and copy that horizontal measurement into the railing walls roof tab for upper roof pitch distance from baseline.  Knowing that and having it put in the dialog should allow you to auto build the roof.

But, why not just do it manually ... your done in a jiffy and probably takes much less time.

attachicon.gifCruzRoofFixed.JPG

Would you be willing to share the measurements that you used to get the final picture?  I keep trying and cannot get my roofline to stay intact.

Post your latest plan Mountaineer.

Be good if you fill in your Forum Profile Signature too with your version etch , as it may affect the answers and methods etcetera  given

Mick,  do me a favor,  never request the OP to post the plan.  If you promise not to request a posted plan,   I promise I will never again request a posted plan.

Mick,  think about it,    how much time could we save by not posting this request......  more money in our pocket Brother.  And then if they don't post the plan,  we will not spend our time opening the plan to help them,  again,  more money in our  pocket.

Okay,  I have decided,  if there is no posted plan,  I promise I will never request the OP to post the plan and I will not waste my time trying to recreate the OP's issue with my own plan.

I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  

UNLESS IT IS A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION.....  I have to have an out.........

Here's as far as I got.  Without auto build roof planes the wall reference tools don't work.  I'm forced to auto build because I need to put an accent gable in the porch roof.  If you scroll up you'll see the version that CJ posted which is correct....I just haven't been able to reproduce. 

Cruz5.plan

Mick,  do me a favor,  never request the OP to post the plan.  If you promise not to request a posted plan,   I promise I will never again request a posted plan.

Mick,  think about it,    how much time could we save by not posting this request......  more money in our pocket Brother.  And then if they don't post the plan,  we will not spend our time opening the plan to help them,  again,  more money in our  pocket.

Okay,  I have decided,  if there is no posted plan,  I promise I will never request the OP to post the plan and I will not waste my time trying to recreate the OP's issue with my own plan.

I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  I will not request OP to post plan,  

UNLESS IT IS A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION.....  I have to have an out.........

Amen to that.....I was just thinking I should do some real work , instead of Cruising the Forum :)  it's why I asked for the Plan and to know the Version , for all we know he is using Home Designer Suite , which means he just can't do what we can do and he has no manual Roof plans whatsoever , so you have to use other Tricks to get there...

Thanks for helping Mick.

DSHall.....some of us are new to this software....sorry I didn't auto post my plan.  Unfortunately tech support hasn't been able to answer my questions so I have only found help on here.  No need to be rude....keep your money in your pocket thanks!

Your Roof is at 4/12 not 3 /12 which wont work , your ceiling would be too low , so I switched  it back to 3/12 and ,reset the Railing to default height and shortened it so it was just under the Roof and then extended the other Rail around the Corner so that part has standard height Rails.

Here I used the Roof Over Window Tool to make the Gable ......change Rail to normal wall temporarily, (uncheck railing) and add window , (resize if needed to gable width )  hit the Gable over Window icon, turn off Auto Roof and then switch wall back to Railing again (window disappears with no wall but roof stays.

My settings are in the attached Pics

M.

post-315-0-02481800-1436552979_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-81915700-1436552992_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-91459800-1436553002_thumb.jpg

Thanks for helping Mick.

DSHall.....some of us are new to this software....sorry I didn't auto post my plan.  Unfortunately tech support hasn't been able to answer my questions so I have only found help on here.  No need to be rude....keep your money in your pocket thanks!

I do not know your name,  I do not know what software you are using,  I do not know what version of the software you are using,   you have been asked several times to post your software version and you have been asked to post the plans and you have ignored the requests.

Many of us spend a lot of time helping out new users and we appreciate those new users who try to help out us old users that are simply trying to help out you new users.  We rarely get compensated for our time.  I think the new users should use some simple courtesy and try to fit in with us old stalwarts.  I think there are many users on this site who will agree that tech support is not as forthcoming as the stalwarts on this site.....  because tech support is busy making the  program better.

I will keep my money in my pocket.  I wish you  good fortune,  it is a wonderful program you are using.

DS Hall....My name is Randy.  I'm using Premier x7.  I have been asked twice to post my plan and both times I did.  If you had asked me directly I would have answered any of these questions.  I'm sure you've helped others and that is wonderful but trolling new users on this forum doesn't help anyone.  This doesn't make you an old stalwart...is makes you an ass.  i've had excellent help from the pros on this page and I am forever thankful for their time and guidance.  You should follow your own courtesy advice and stay out of a topic if you are not willing to contribute to a solution.  Trolling is for teenagers!