Can this be achieved in Chief?

cjpcrepair

My guess would be any program that uses solids for all of the parts that are displayed as cutaways, but that is not the only way to do this.

TurboCAD has this capability, and there are a few new wrinkles in their rendering capabilites that were just released.  For that matter I have seen some very impressive work done using programs such as 3D Studio Max and even Blender for that matter.  Takes a lot of determination to accomplish something like this the hard way though.

If you actually do know how this was produced, please let us know.  Seems like a lot of folks would like to know, if it was practical to do.

This could have been done in something like Chief, and then imported to for example Max for rendering in Vray or the included Mental-Ray. The house being fairly detailed and the lawn using displacement mapping together with the way things are stripped away makes me doubt this is rendered in cad. On the other hand the front flowers and rocks looks very basic.

It can be done in Chief.  But it takes a bit of finesse to specify different layers for walls that need to be "turned off", different Wall Types for some of the cutaway details, drawing custom framing that's shortened, etc.  Some of the cut-aways could be simply handled with the Delete Surface tool.

The new X6 Wall Region and Floor Region Tools can also be handy to accomplish some of these effects.

If you have the Layers, Wall Types, Materials, etc all set up ahead of time it wouldn't be too difficult.  The real question is:  Is it worth the effort?

The notation would probably need to be done in another program such as Photoshop.

........ finess ......

...... finess ......

I really do not want to assume the role of the "spelling police",  but I believe our friend Joe Carrick should review his spelling before he makes any further posts.  This is an egregious breach of spelling decorum on my golfing  buddies behalf.  With any luck,  we will not have to revisit this issue in the near future.

Thank you,  thank you very much.

• Downvote 1

I could do this in Chief etc but I would want to be paid a lot of money for such exacting work. It seems like a lot of work for not that much real, useful product, like over kill for its own sake.

DJP

I concur,  looks neat but I am not sure the value.

I really do not want to assume the role of the "spelling police",  but I believe our friend Joe Carrick should review his spelling before he makes any further posts.  This is an egregious breach of spelling decorum on my golfing  buddies behalf.  With any luck,  we will not have to revisit this issue in the near future.

Thank you,  thank you very much.

The spelling police just doubled---oh supreme being please help me.

I did something like this in CA 9, by doing an overview with "all on" and exporting the jpeg for each time I turned a layer off, then imported all into Paint Shop Pro, and added each as a layer. Using the eraser in PSP, I was able to accomplish an end result similar (although not nearly as professional).

Would be nice if CA were to give us a layer eraser, free handed! 

I appreciate everyone's input on this.  I myself have been playing with "cut-away views" in Chief using Delete Surface and creating custom items for particular items such as insulation.  However I ran into many issues right from the start.  I am unsure how to keep "deleted surfaces" from reappearing if I move the camera or hide/unhide a layer.  Also I could not figure out how to get curved lines on items to be cutout.  I was simply breaking the wall and removing various layers.  Certainly would be very tedious to achieve this in Chief.

• 3 weeks later...