When to use Floor Supplied by Foundation Room Below?

Richard_Morrison

I am trying to wrap my head around when it is better to use the "Floor supplied by foundation room below" vs. just doing a lowered slab with stem walls on the same level. I have never really figured out why garages, for example, use this concept. The reference manual is no help. I'm thinking that it can help show all the concrete work on one level, but beyond that, I am unclear. Anyone figured out the logic here?

I am trying to wrap my head around when it is better to use the "Floor supplied by foundation room below" vs. just doing a lowered slab with stem walls on the same level. I have never really figured out why garages, for example, use this concept. The reference manual is no help. I'm thinking that it can help show all the concrete work on one level, but beyond that, I am unclear. Anyone figured out the logic here?

Richard,  this is such a great question.  I am not sure if I have my head wrapped around it either.

I do not think your question is  super clear......

"around when it is better to use the "Floor supplied by foundation room below" vs. just doing a lowered slab with stem walls on the same level. I have never really figured out why garages, for example, use this concept."

....  but I think it is a super question.  I am working on a couple of projects right now that are a little bit technically challenging,  and I am hoping to hook up with The Great Glenn Woodward in the next day or so to get his take on the situation.

When I get a better grasp on an answer for you,  I  will share what I have learned.  

From my point of view.....  the answer is like trying to nail down a blob of mercury,  you can press down on it,  but it squirts away....  I cannot fully explain what works,  what does not work and what and why is the best approach to take.

Thanks for the post.

Anyone figured out the logic here?

Hey Joe, I resemble that remark! Logic? That's a good one. :D  :D  :D

Here's my understanding - Actually the foundation supplied by the room below has something to do with when there's a foundation that isn't really a room but it has a floor even though there's no floor on a foundation if it is a slab but since the slab level which has no real floor under it uses the ceiling of the foundation slab which also has no real ceiling using it as the floor of the room above, Unless it's an actual room for a foundation in which case it all makes perfect sense... unless you're willing to wait for Glenn to explain it. :)

Hope that helps.

.........The reference manual is no help.........

That statement  is probably the most understated statement I have read in the past 18 months.  

I agree,  I bet if we got the CA team in a locked room,  I would bet we could ask them to model certain scenarios that we face many times,  and they would not have a clue......  just guessing,  but I bet that is so.

And how anybody would be able to model auto is a complete mystery to me........  

Hey Joe, I resemble that remark! Logic? That's a good one. :D  :D  :D

Here's my understanding - Actually the foundation supplied by the room below has something to do with when there's a foundation that isn't really a room but it has a floor even though there's no floor on a foundation if it is a slab but since the slab level which has no real floor under is uses the ceiling of the foundation slab which also has no real ceiling using it as the floor of the room above, Unless it's an actual room for a foundation in which case it all makes perfect sense... unless...

Hope that helps.

Thanks Larry,  now I understand.  Richard,  are you okay now?

Started with version 2 and I have designed 100's of my own and others projects. I have NEVER used

that option. Houses, light commercial, pole structures, log homes, additions ect.......... I agree

with Joe Carrick

Started with version 2 and I have designed 100's of my own and others projects. I have NEVER used

that option. Houses, light commercial, pole structures, log homes, additions ect.......... I agree

with Joe Carrick

Of course you would not of used that option in version 2 because it was not available until probably X3 or x4.

Hey Joe, I resemble that remark! Logic? That's a good one. :D:D:D

Here's my understanding - Actually the foundation supplied by the room below has something to do with when there's a foundation that isn't really a room but it has a floor even though there's no floor on a foundation if it is a slab but since the slab level which has no real floor under it uses the ceiling of the foundation slab which also has no real ceiling using it as the floor of the room above, Unless it's an actual room for a foundation in which case it all makes perfect sense... unless you're willing to wait for Glenn to explain it. :)

Hope that helps.

Extremely Funny!

It is confusing but it all has to do with the way CA works with 3d room modules system of programming.

Richard, if we put it in AC terminology our 3d room modules are created with "Zones" as you know and they are more simple than a CA 3d room module. In AC A Zone is basically a 3d polyline that represents the inside volume of a room definition. Other elements are not directly connected to the Zone in AC but they are in CA and thats is why CA works the way it does. CA needs revision and I hope when they do that, in a Story Pole Slab system to re-write the old CA code. Ask Doug Parks what he thinks?