Curving top of wall?

Larry_Sweeney

Larry:

I see Ben got to you first.  I tried a quicky with a couple of different wall types before my first post to see if we could put a break in the top of a wall and then select one of the segments and curve the top per Ben's suggestion.  I would think that just about all Chief users would like to have this capability.  If we could do that with a railing wall (half wall), then it would be easy and quick to do your curved top wall.  Using roof planes was a clever idea .... as well as the multiple breaks in the wall top ... and got the green arrow from me.

Here are my results using a roof for making a rail cap on top of my curved top wall. post-76-0-50306000-1435622785_thumb.jpg  for clarity I made the center section a different color. I started my roof "rail cap" by making my rafters and all fascias 1" thick and my roof surface 1/16" thick and the material white (color for my purpose). I then added my shadowboard profile to the roof planes. This is the cross section of what that combination came up with.  post-76-0-78076400-1435622820_thumb.jpg  With the roundover on the profile molding I added for a shadow board there was a conflict with the roof surface as I point out. Depending on your shadowboard profile this may not be a problem. To fix my problem I put my roof on a different layer and turned it off. This left the shadowboard still showing since it is on a different layer (roof trim). Then in place to the original roof I installed a p-solid to match the shape of the shadowboard and came up with this. post-76-0-07089100-1435622800_thumb.jpg This is also what is shown in the render view. I first tried to make a seperate 3D molding p-line but I kept running into problems and then realized I still had use of the shadowboard trim from the original roof used to make the curved top wall. Using the the shadowboard was a MUCH easier solution. I then put the shadowboard and p-solid I made for the cap (red) on it's own layer. There may be a better solution than this but it didn't go too bad once I figured out the process. A much easier solution would be to have CA give us the capablity to curve the top of a railing wall and then use a custom rail cap on top following the curve. How about it CA.----------X8?

Here are my results using a roof for making a rail cap on top of my curved top wall. attachicon.gifCAP 4.JPG  for clarity I made the center section a different color. I started my roof "rail cap" by making my rafters and all fascias 1" thick and my roof surface 1/16" thick and the material white (color for my purpose). I then added my shadowboard profile to the roof planes. This is the cross section of what that combination came up with.  attachicon.gifCAP 6.JPG  With the roundover on the profile molding I added for a shadow board there was a conflict with the roof surface as I point out. Depending on your shadowboard profile this may not be a problem. To fix my problem I put my roof on a different layer and turned it off. This left the shadowboard still showing since it is on a different layer (roof trim). Then in place to the original roof I installed a p-solid to match the shape of the shadowboard and came up with this. attachicon.gifCAP 5.JPG This is also what is shown in the render view. I first tried to make a seperate 3D molding p-line but I kept running into problems and then realized I still had use of the shadowboard trim from the original roof used to make the curved top wall. Using the the shadowboard was a MUCH easier solution. I then put the shadowboard and p-solid I made for the cap (red) on it's own layer. There may be a better solution than this but it didn't go too bad once I figured out the process. A much easier solution would be to have CA give us the capablity to curve the top of a railing wall and then use a custom rail cap on top following the curve. How about it CA.----------X8?

This is awesome Larry, the outcome is great...Great job. Bravo! Is the way to make step by step video or something how to accomplish this. Would definitely like to try doing that. Thanks!

Here are my results using a roof for making a rail cap on top of my curved top wall. attachicon.gifCAP 4.JPG  for clarity I made the center section a different color. I started my roof "rail cap" by making my rafters and all fascias 1" thick and my roof surface 1/16" thick and the material white (color for my purpose). I then added my shadowboard profile to the roof planes. This is the cross section of what that combination came up with.  attachicon.gifCAP 6.JPG  With the roundover on the profile molding I added for a shadow board there was a conflict with the roof surface as I point out. Depending on your shadowboard profile this may not be a problem. To fix my problem I put my roof on a different layer and turned it off. This left the shadowboard still showing since it is on a different layer (roof trim). Then in place to the original roof I installed a p-solid to match the shape of the shadowboard and came up with this. attachicon.gifCAP 5.JPG This is also what is shown in the render view. I first tried to make a seperate 3D molding p-line but I kept running into problems and then realized I still had use of the shadowboard trim from the original roof used to make the curved top wall. Using the the shadowboard was a MUCH easier solution. I then put the shadowboard and p-solid I made for the cap (red) on it's own layer. There may be a better solution than this but it didn't go too bad once I figured out the process. A much easier solution would be to have CA give us the capablity to curve the top of a railing wall and then use a custom rail cap on top following the curve. How about it CA.----------X8?

Larry, that is very impressive, keep up the excellent work!!