Curving top of wall?

Larry_Sweeney

I would like to curve the top of a exterior railing wall (attachment), and I'm getting a sore spot on my head from all the scratching. I've been unable to find any info on this so far. Is this possible to do with walls in CA? Of course I could make it out of a p-solid, but would prefer using a wall if possible. If this can be done can anyone point me in the right direction for the info or instruct me on the procedure? As always all advice is greatly appreciated.

post-76-0-32019900-1435588487_thumb.jpg

Hello Larry,

That is a great question and a great idea for a feature request!  Unfortunately there is not a way to curve the top of walls.  You could create many breaks in the top of a wall and create a sectioned curve with multiple angled edges.

Bill........Thankyou---seems like a good work around. I'm not sure how often this problem comes up, but as CA's Deedeeu said, "it would make a great feature request".  I try your idea and see if I run into any problems and follow up on this thread later. Have a great day.

Ginkgohouse.......Looks great, but I'm having a "brain fart". For what ever reason my roof won't cut the wall.  post-76-0-30190100-1435598709_thumb.jpg  Do you or anyone have any ideas to what I'm doing or not doing that is keeping the roof from cutting the wall or do you need to see the plan? I'll have to show it through Dropbox if that's the case. Thanks for taking the time.

Ginkgohouse.......Looks great, but I'm having a "brain fart". For what ever reason my roof won't cut the wall.  attachicon.gifCURVED TOP WALL 2.JPG  Do you or anyone have any ideas to what I'm doing or not doing that is keeping the roof from cutting the wall or do you need to see the plan? I'll have to show it through Dropbox if that's the case. Thanks for taking the time.

I bet that is defined as a RAILING WALL

Ginkohouse nailed it, poly solid quickest but roofs allow more detail. Not sure we need a magic

button to create it.

The feature request (or magic button) would be the ability to curve the tops of walls...seems like the 'change line/arc' tool would be great here.  Select the top of wall, 'change line/arc' and edit as needed.  Nice and quick...faster then polyline solid in this case.

I think Ben's idea would be the way to go.

Curt.......this would definitely have been easier, but in plan view I wanted to show an actual wall.  Now the next thing will be installing a cap on top like I want. I'm going to try and use a roof, shadow boards and freize to get what I'm after.  post-76-0-57170500-1435606500_thumb.jpg  This is the profile I'm after. I'm hoping to be able to use the roof rather than a 3D molding p-line. I have a feeling using a p-line will be a real pain. If it the "roof" idea works I'll show it on this thread.

Mark.........The gargoyle came from Google Wharehouse. It was close enough to what the customer had purchased to use in the design.  post-76-0-88244600-1435607142_thumb.jpg That section is still a work in progress. The actual gargoyle weighs 900lbs. :( It's solid concrete. I told the customer to get one formed out of dense foam, (He thought I was joking!) The cost of building the structure to sit it on would be W-A-Y less expensive. Structurally it's a real PITA! I'll need an engineers stamp for sure. ;)

Curt.......this would definitely have been easier, but in plan view I wanted to show an actual wall.  

Larry, the idea referenced was for a new feature to be able to use the 'change line/arc' tool at the top of the wall. We could add to that a feature to be able to add a profiled cap...perhaps using railing wall cap could work?

I like the roof on top as well.  However, if the situation warrants and I decide a polyline would be better and want it to show as a wall in floor plan view, I simply put it on the wall layer (I use 2 lines for my walls and not all the other layers).

It's good for us to have multiple ways to achieve something since there are so many situations and some work better then others depending on the specific situation.  But the ability to edit a wall in 3d the same way we would any CAD makes sense or it's 'intuitive'.