Why stainless steel looks different?

dshall

Go to solution Solved by jbaehmer,

See pic,  note the stainless steel appliances.  I have two different files open but I am using the same appliances in each plan yet they look different depending on the plan.

Is there some kind of legacy setting that one  plan might have and the other does not.

Again,  they are the same exact appliances with the same exact material yet they look different in render view.

post-50-0-76296300-1435407850_thumb.png

Just throwing it out there....does the camera angle matter?  Also it looks like two different types of camera views.....a floor camera overview and the other is a camera generated from inside the room.   Have you tried using the exact same camera style and angle in both plans?

This is the kind of crap that frustrates me and must frustrate others.  Why do I end up spending 30 minutes trying to figure out the problem.

Below is a pic,  the refrigerators are the same yet they look different.

post-50-0-98933200-1435410705_thumb.png

• Downvote 1

Hey Scott,

Here's what I get. The 2 on the left are from your files and I couldn't see any difference. It looks like the material is Metal_corrogated_Shiny?

The one on the right is with a stainless material I picked up from somewhere.

Not sure that helps but I share your frustration.

post-302-0-01345500-1435412928_thumb.png

Scott,

I don't think you are comparing apples with apples.

I had a look at your 2 plans and each had plenty of added lights - but different between plans.

I am not sure if that is making a difference or not.

But notice that in the last 2 pics you posted that the shiny ones actually have their faces in shadow and the dull ones are facing the light source. 

I think it could have a lot to do with them facing different directions - especially in relation to the default sunlight?

And maybe the type of views you are doing and whether the camera is inside the room or outside the room?

Scott,

I don't think you are comparing apples with apples.

I had a look at your 2 plans and each had plenty of added lights - but different between plans.

I am not sure if that is making a difference or not.

But notice that in the last 2 pics you posted that the shiny ones actually have their faces in shadow and the dull ones are facing the light source. 

I think it could have a lot to do with them facing different directions - especially in relation to the default sunlight?

And maybe the type of views you are doing and whether the camera is inside the room or outside the room?

If that is the case,  if you open plan with dull material,  you should be able to manipulate lights so they are not dull.

I have been using this material forever and the camera does  not matter and the number of lights do not matter as long as there is at least one light.

JB'a material is flat,  Jon's material I do not see but he says both materials look the same on his plan,  Larry's picture is not helpful to me because he is looking at the material in the same plan.

The point I am making is the material looks different in both plans Larry.

Is this a lighting issue? In good plan you have lighting casting shadow in one direction. In bad plan the shadows throw 2 directions.

That material has always been shiny for me, always, but in bad plan it is not shiny.

My request is, can anybody make that material shiny in bad plan? Put all the lights in you want and used any camera.

My contention is you will not be able to make material shiny in bad plan, and I do not know why not.

• Solution

So I took it and made a OOB plan with that fridge copied in.  I was looking at materials and saw that the texture source was missing.  Don't know if that is the cause...but wanted to point it out.  I gotta go for a big, but wanted to mention it in case someone can run with it and possibly come up with something.

post-314-0-52983600-1435420763_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I have been using this material forever and the camera does  not matter and the number of lights do not matter as long as there is at least one light.

JB'a material is flat,  Jon's material I do not see but he says both materials look the same on his plan,  Larry's picture is not helpful to me because he is looking at the material in the same plan.

The point I am making is the material looks different in both plans Larry.

Sorry, Scott that was my version of trying to help. Best of luck.

Check the material texture source. The good one is probably pointing to a valid texture location, whereas the bad one is pointing to a different directory that doesn't have that texture, so it is defaulting to a generic color.

post-214-0-37007300-1435424357_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Oops, just saw Jared got there ahead of me. I should read all prior posts first.

FURTHER EDIT: Okay, took a closer look at this. Even though named the same material, the "Not Good" texture is pointing to an old X3 library material, which you probably don't have any more. The "Good" texture is pointing to an X6 user library material, which you probably still have. Most of us don't have either, so they will look identical to us. (Just like your "Not Good".)

• Upvote 1

You are the best JB,  and thank you Mr. Curmudgeon for further clarifying the issue.

This is a very good stainless steel material for me.  I have been using it a long time.  I hope that with one of the plans,  you can get the material for your own use.  If not,  let me know.

One further note,  if the OP had posted his plans initially,  he probably would of received an answer even quicker.  Dang newbies!

Thanks guys for the help.

You are the best JB,  and thank you Mr. Curmudgeon for further clarifying the issue.

This is a very good stainless steel material for me.  I have been using it a long time.  I hope that with one of the plans,  you can get the material for your own use.  If not,  let me know.

One further note,  if the OP had posted his plans initially,  he probably would of received an answer even quicker.  Dang newbies!

Thanks guys for the help.

Hey and I got a point!!!!  I am in the double digits!!  **Humming the Mighty Mouse theme**