Can't understand how room measurments are working?

Bulldogg629

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

I'm having a hard time understanding how CA is measuring my rooms and hoped someone could help me out.

I measure rooms with a laser distance meter and so have spot on numbers. Then I come to CA and begin to draw a wall. Say my room is 10'x10'. I draw out 10ft walls but I get this... post-6661-0-07165500-1435399606_thumb.jpg

The resulting measurment of 10"7" then means that CA adds 3.5" for interior wall thickness, but why is it using that measurment for living area calculation? It's including the space inside of the walls as living space. Then, when it gives me the room dimensons... 9'11"? Where does that come from?

Do I have my settings wrong, I'd like to be able to draw walls using my laser measurments and have them come out exactly to that. Extend the wall thickness outward from those measurments.

Thanks

To be specific - Dimension defaults - locate objects tab.  If you have it set to "main layer" you're dimensions go to the framing.  Assuming 1/2" drywall on each wall, that would be the 1" you're missing.  When we measure and draw existing, I use a saved dimension set with Locate Objects set to Surface - 'cause that's what I can measure.

• Solution

In the picture you have shown, your dimension is going from the outside of the framing to the outside of the framing and does not include the sheetrock on the outside of the building. 

This makes the interior room dimensions 9'11" (10'7" - 4" - 4").

The living area is also calculated from outside of framing to outside of framing which makes it 112 sq ft (10'7" x 10'7").