Unfinished Dalton Plan Sample

country

I was just having a look at the new "Dalton Remodel" that has been posted.  When I looked at the back deck I realized the closed roof area is floating above the decking and has no supports.  

I was also hoping for a full plan with a layout to see exactly what was turned off and on and how they set up the different views but not to be.

I haven't watched the videos yet but would think that someone would have checked the drawing before it was posted as an example.  My contractors would not be very happy with something like this.

I will keep looking for better samples.  Maybe the other new posts are correct but I don't think they have sample layouts attached.

Yes I have wished they provided Full Samples to at least SSA members to look at but suspect that they don't want people building off a "free set", especially those who "found" CA on the internet.

Like you I have seen a number of errors/unfinished work in the Samples Gallery , which from and advertising point you would think would be bad, then again I guess they have other duties at CA headquarters and at some point ..."making it perfect " loses to those other Duties/deadlines.

M.

Thanks for the comments! It is great to know that users are downloading and referencing the sample plans.

We posted the Dalton Remodel plan with the intent for it to be leveraged by those watching the How-to Design Video supplied with the plan. The plan isn’t meant to be fully complete in this case, but instead to illustrate some of the specific points that are of focus in the video.

You’ll find that it is true that most, if not all, sample plans on the site are incomplete to varying degrees. This is intentional.
Because Chief Architect is in the business if creating a tool for drawing plans and we as a company are not actually generating working drawings or acting as a contractor or designer, we leave the details to you, the professionals who have much more direct experience in the industry.

Our goal is to offer a variety of examples that illustrate what CAN be accomplished in the software. No sample is guaranteed to be complete, nor do they approach being approved by professionals in the industry, such as Architects, Engineers, or Building Departments.

We like to offer examples of cases that users may be interested in trying themselves. If you would like to download any editable plan and take it from where we left off, you are free to play with them in that manner. We hope they provide a good jumping-off point for your growth in learning the software.

We plan to continue to supply more sample plans for download as time goes on. If you are interested in seeing any specific examples to see how we may approach a topic using Chief Architect, please share your ideas with us!

• Upvote 1

@ Sherry    I had a look at some of the other Samples in the Gallery over the weekend and some (not all) do have layouts included , the Riverstone, Modern Bungalow, Woodstone, and Timber Frame House do.  if you only want to look at the Layouts ( not inspect for "how to" tips) , the PDF included in the Gallery is the Printed (PDF) Layout file.

M.

Sherry,

Many of the plans that Mick references include the layout along with the plan in the download. You should be able to see the method of work that was used for these plans and creating their layouts, including layersets. It would also be safe to assume that different techniques were used in different projects, so you may be able to infer multiple methods of work if you are able to take the time to review more than one sample.

Please let us know if there are specific areas in which you'd like to see more detail, after taking a peek at these samples, and we can try to direct our focus in those areas for upcoming projects.

Thank you!

Thanks Mick. I was interested in checking the links back to the plan to see the type of Anno Sets they used for the views.

Yep that's why I was looking at them too , the full plan downloads include the full layout and textures too in some cases , they just never went that far with the Dalton , even though the last vid. is about making the Con Docs , they aren't in the download unfortunately.

Perhaps CA could add them to the download zip file?

I was really interested in the Dalton because of the Con Doc instructions and thought I could download the PDF and follow along with the process. Guess I can do it myself with my layout template but not quite the same.

I am doing pretty well with the Plan drawings (other than all the working from top down and then the different foundation level) but need to translate these into good working drawings. Slowly but surely they are all coming together.

Thanks for the suggestion, Shane! I'll be sure to share that with our team.

Also, for those interested in more detail on the Dalton Remodel plan, we've posted the Layout file from which the .PDF was derived. Please feel free to download this latest version of the plan files to review the technique used to create the design.

Thank you for the response.  I know many people are private with their plans but myself and some others I have spoken to would love a space or website to share plans and project files.  I think it would be wonderful to be able to exchange plans with one another.  Thank you again for your support!

Personally, I have never been one to worry about someone copying my plans.  Everything I have ever done is a derivative of something I have seen before.  Rarely have I started with a bubble diagram, but even then I'm pretty sure the finished product had the influences of other designs.

Hundreds of millions of homes have been designed and constructed.  I can guarantee you that even if I started with a bubble diagram, with exception of finishes and details, the floor plan would pretty much, for the most part, match something somewhere that someone else has already designed.  It's simply the law of probabilities.

If I was a Frank Lloyd Wright it would be different, but I am not.

I would be more than happy to post my plan files but I am not sure that it would benefit anyone.  I am not a Perry, Scott, Glenn, Larry, etc.  In other words, since I am not a power user I'm not sure what that benefit to someone else would be, unless it was a beginner.  Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively use layer sets and anno sets like the power users can.

That's just my two cents worth.

I have more light commercial plans, pm me if you want to look at more. I agree with above post that I'm not a power user but, I'm a Contractor that design/builds with 23 yrs with CA. I know the building industry and codes so I need documents to build it. I don't need to see all the bells an whistles on every project. I also know that if I design in CA it can be built. I have an advantage in bidding and getting these project because of the "intimate" knowledge of the project. Michael I'm sure your plans would helpful and interesting to look at, post a few. :)

I would appreciate any shared files.  Once I begin to create more files, I will certainly share them.  I am fairly new to CA.  My primary goal with seeing other's work is to see the sizes of the buildings created.  I tend to make things too big or small and would love to see the sizes of others projects and their layout.

Thank you again for your advice!

• 4 weeks later...

I would actually love it if anybody was willing to share some plans with me.....I am an interior designer, not an architect, and it is really difficult for me to get plan details right (especially roofs, basements, and the like).  I just like to do interiors....lol.