Layout Template Location

DCortes

Ok I switched up yesterday from HD Pro 2016 to Chief X7 Premier.  My question is I am attempting to create a Layout or should I say I have created the layout and then changed the names on the 5 pages.  My situation is if I create a new plan and then select Send to Layout I get   "No layout or file was found.  Would you like to create a new layout window and send this view to it?"  What file folder should the Layout Template be located in?  When I check out :Preferences" its located in My Documents Folder.  Should it be else ware so that it would be associated with all new plans.  I searched the forum and found nothing on where it is suppose to be located. 

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sounds like you don't have a layout open when you are sending the plan to layout.  There is a template location, but I don't use it.  I use a variation of the SAM (Save As Method).  I keep the layout for that project within the folder I have for that project.  Place the layout and plan file you created in there.  Have the layout open and the plan file open when you send the plan to layout.

You get that message for every new plan , you need to say yes and then save the Layout to the same Folder the Plan is in, after that CA will open that layout by default , if it can't find the Referenced Layout it will 1st look in the Templates folder for the referenced file and if its not there ask you if you want to open a new layout again. So best to set up Client/Project folders and keep all flles in one Folder , easy to backup this way too.

If you rename a Layout in Windows' Explorer it's name needs to match the Plan Name exactly or it won't be linked , and will need Re-referencing.

One other thing to note is that CA does not start autosaving files in the backup archive unitl you save the Plan with a name the 1st time , so don't open a new plan , and work for a few hours then save , cos if there is a crash you will lose all your work.

M.

Thanks that is what I was doing with HD Pro 2016, however I did not know you needed to have the layout open with X7 as well.  So then when you make the so called 5 pages i.e. rename them like it say in the tutorial "Cover Sheet", "Foundation Plan", Floor Plan 1, Elevations etc. when you send it to Layout does it prompt you to pick one of those sheets of does it just default to your main Layout Sheet you just created.  I would try it but on the road for a 3 hours drive.  I guess i'll try it when I return on Sunday.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave , I didn't realise it was you , and that you had upgraded and were here on CT now. This KB article explains the error message you asked about :

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00155/104/Chief-Architect/Layouts/Message%3A-No-layout-view-or-file-was-found.html

You don't need to Open a Layout at the same time as a Plan , that doesn't need to be done until you are ready to start sending Plan Pages to Layout ,then the 1st time for each Plan you will get the above message , once the Layout is Open , goto save and save it in the same folder as your Plan file, then it is linked to the Plan, in fact you can then open a layout and click on the Layout and open the Plan from there if needed at the page your clicked on in the Layout.

However from your 2nd post I think you are confusing your Layout Template and the fact you have made Layout Template Pages as well, which is optional .  I think you are referring to the User Guide Tutorials right ? , If you want to use them, you then have to Open you Layout Template and then insert the optional Template Pages for the Cover Page, Foundation, Floor 1,Floor2,Elevations etc.  as per page 201-206 of the UG ,and then save your Layout file as your Template Layout File again, so you get them in all Layouts from then on, otherwise you get just the Main Layout File you saved 1st as it is you default Layout Template.

Mick.