Stack Stone Around Columns

builtright3

I would like to put stack stone around some patio columns. I thought I might just use the slab tool and build them with a cap and pace it in the column somehow but I would like to get a little feed back from others first. Any suggestions on how you guys would do it? Remember that these columns are built from a railing wall.

post-2478-0-99643700-1435331635_thumb.png

There are some columns in the library with stone on the bottoms ... Craftsman style.  You could also just change the column size to bigger (square columns) and then change the material to stone.  Many other options to use beyond this.

There are some columns in the library with stone on the bottoms ... Craftsman style.  You could also just change the column size to bigger (square columns) and then change the material to stone.  Many other options to use beyond this.

If I change the column bigger and change the materials than I have no control over just doing the bottom 3 feet. Correct?

Thanks, I didn't know there were stone columns in the libuary

I always make my own for total control over the proportions of materials. Slab base, slab cap.

I think this is my preferred method so far.

I really don't think there is an easier way. But I thought for sure that Joe would say use a cabinet because you easily use the countertop for the cap and change the edge profiles.

post-2478-0-46369000-1435333584_thumb.png

Here's a video on some ways to do columns:

http://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=column

I thought there might be other videos and/or articles on creating Craftsman type columns but couldn't find anything else.  You might check Dan Baumann's Chief Experts website ... he might have something posted there that you can view without joining.  I think I remember Dan doing this with custom molding shapes (stacked) ... similar to what is near the end of the video.

I don't like the cabinet method. But you can use walls so that the materials list accounts for the stone and lumber. Just be sure to check the no room definition checkbox. 

So like a half wall drawn around the column with a cap on it? So the top rail is your cap?