Wall Dimension PITA

RobUSMC

I have been trying to set my default dimensions and think I've got them all screwed up. Being a design build company where 95% of our work is remodels I am always having to go in and do preliminary space measurements and they are always from drywall to drywall or from finished floor to ceiling drywall. Even when we do a room addition the homeowner is usually more concerned about the interior size versus the exterior.   I t would make it easier on me to set it up this way but know what setting to change to reference framing, brick ,etc.   If i use the interior dimention tool i get the drywall to drywall but the temp dimensions are all over the place.  See attached.   I searched the forum first but didn't find the exact answer i was looking for or it was from years ago for previous 10 or X1 versions

post-180-0-65746200-1435260596_thumb.jpg

I leave my dims set to framing layer as that is what will be used for construction. For my existing measureups I laser measure to ext of lining then have to add on thickness manually, it does leave some room for error but I find it easier than adjusting the CA dim settings. my 02c

I need a mix and use Annosets to control different layer/dimension set combinations, some to rock, others to framing. Took time to set up and currently trying to pare them down but worth the effort for me.

No Rob my exterior and interior walls still have the Dim Line set to the exterior of the Framing Layer , so manual and other Dims still find that.

It also depends on what you are trying to get a Dim on I think , eg the width of a room ....then it works Surface to Surface , try and get the length of a wall , sticking at right angles into the same room and it will dim to the Framing main layer. The measurement in this case is accurate as it is frame to frame ,which is the same as dwall to dwall , it just doesn't look right.   (see pic)

Perhaps one of my other defaults , is also controlling it ?  or one of my AnnoSets like Mark ?  I seem to have to play with this depending on the Job and whether I am working from Old Plans or from my own Job Measure Notes.

M.

post-315-0-26690800-1435272336_thumb.jpg

Edit: after playing  a bit I guess in one sense it works, the wall clicked on gets a temp dim surface to surface but the opposite Dim is Frame to frame . so I think I need to play more too........Ahhhh once again the opposite Dim is the Wall length for the wall you clicked on , not the Room width....

post-315-0-67037800-1435273911_thumb.jpg