Knee Braces

builtright3

In the attached picture I made the knee braces out of a poly line solid. All the post and beams are railing walls.

My question is how can I put the knee braces in the library for future use. The patio cover is free standing and I will also need to put the knee braces at every post. I'm sure there as to be a better way to duplicate them but as a Psolid they are not very editable.

I will take any ideas that anyone might have on my approach to build this free standing cover.

post-2478-0-77849700-1435216447_thumb.png

I think I need to start from scratch with building this knee brace. I opened a new plan to draw it in but I'm not having much luck. Can someone point me in the right direction? As you can see in the attachment I built the knee braces but am having a hard time putting them in the library for re use.

post-2478-0-01313000-1435241918_thumb.png

To put them in the library you just need to select and add to the library. I was just trying to get something that would be resizable about the proper axis and that is a different animal.

It does not give me the option to put it in the library when I select it. Not sure what I did.

The benefit of not making it into a symbol is to be able to unblock it once brought into your new file and resize it easily. If you make it millwork it will not resize on the longitudinal axis.

Good one Alan, of course I was just showing one way to do it and did not know that about Exterior Fixtures, Thanks Joe.

Joey, your typical deck bracing is 2 feet below the bottom of the joists or girder at a 45-degree angle to the beam and joists. You don't really need to resize the braces for the deck and reuse the same one for all deck applications.

Sorry Greg but I don't understand your comment. This is a patio cover with knee braces that I'm working on.

• 3 years later...

G'day Larry humble chief...found that video very helpful, thanks for taking the time. However I did find that saving as an exterior fixture didn't go so smoothly (waaaay above my paygrade). Perhaps something to do with resizing object vs object edge??

Ok now I'm just rambling..back to my first comment, thanks for taking the time.

I've just noticed the date on this thread..are there any updates?

On 12/11/2018 at 9:27 AM, BCTiger said:

G'day Larry humble chief...found that video very helpful, thanks for taking the time. However I did find that saving as an exterior fixture didn't go so smoothly (waaaay above my paygrade). Perhaps something to do with resizing object vs object edge??

Ok now I'm just rambling..back to my first comment, thanks for taking the time.

I've just noticed the date on this thread..are there any updates?

To save as a Exterior Fixture (symbol)  you need to be in a 3D view with only the Knee Brace visible ..... 

This is the basics but the 1st pic of the kitchen is totally misleading...... you can't make the Oven cabinet a symbol from that view... as EVERYTHING in view will be added to the symbol......

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00809/converting-an-object-into-a-symbol.html

M.

• 4 years later...

Bringing this subject back from 2015 for Knee Braces,

With all the upgrades to CA since 2015 does anyone have any better ways to do Knee Braces? I’m still using the same method.

I just put them in the drawing from my user library and unblock them and resize them as needed, if needed but still a little awkward and time consuming.

1.thumb.png.2dcc7cf5c16a606859c98df3dce2f2df.png2.thumb.png.05d644a38b6b5c9dfd0ac2206d53dc8c.png3.thumb.png.017b71b73a568977c4886a21c33251ff.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! This is exactly what Im looking for.  Can you point me in the direction, hopefully a video or tutorial, that shows how to create those knee braces.  Im creating a mountain style home, hopefully a Timber frame hybrid.  I understand you draw them with a polyline first.  Im so new to this Id love to find a detailed explanation.  Thanks so much!