Plan Notes Scenarios / Systems

Joe_Carrick

Here are a couple of concepts for "Plan Notes":

A.  Use a "Plant Schedule" as discussed in some other threads.

1.  Pros

a.  It's pretty easy to implement

b.  I can be done on a (per floor) or (all floor) basis

c.  Notes can be edited easily creating new notes

2.  Cons:

a.  You can't have a separate Plant Schedule

b.  You can't have multi-line or word-wrapped notes.

B.  CA provides a "Note Schedule"

1.  Pros

a.  It's pretty easy to implement

b.  I can be done on a (per floor) or (all floor) basis

c.  Notes can be edited easily creating new notes

2.  Cons:

a.  CA needs to implement multi-line and/or word-wrap capability

b.  Requires a new Object Type (Note) in Chief

C.  Use external text files

1.  Pros

a.  Simple to use Text Editors

b.  multi-line and/or word-wrapped notes are easy

2.  Cons

a.  Must use some method of transferring the text to the Plan

b.  Coordination with the Plan is manual.

D.  Special Text Object with 2 parts:  Number-Displayed and Note-Undisplayed

1.  Pros

a.  Contained totally in Chief

b.  Easy to Coordinate with Plan

c.  Multi-Line and or Word-Wrap can be done using a macro to format the Notes.

2.  Cons

a.  Requires a new Object Type in Chief

b.  The 2 parts of the Object would need to have attributes available.

c.  Text macro would be needed to format and display the notes.

IMO, Concept "B" would be the best solution.  Unless and until CA provides that, Concept "A" is still the best.

I find it very easy to just create a simple note schedule using text and call-outs. Tried the plant schedule but way too much effort for simple plan notes. Maybe a 'notes' schedule would work but Chief's schedules, for me, are way more work than they are worth without word wrap and almost zero flexibility etc.

To be clear I create a stacked list of call-outs, either numbers or letters, with a simple description next to each call-out. Then each call-out is copied in place and moved to the relevant location on the plan and the call-outs and text are spaced evenly etc. with the space evenly tools. I don't really want a schedule until Chief's schedules are way more flexible.

And of course any manual list can be saved to the library to modify for each plan. Very easy and more importantly, very flexible.

I find it very easy to just create a simple note schedule using text and call-outs. Tried the plant schedule but way too much effort for simple plan notes. Maybe a 'notes' schedule would work but Chief's schedules, for me, are way more work than they are worth without word wrap and almost zero flexibility etc.

To be clear I create a stacked list of call-outs, either numbers or letters, with a simple description next to each call-out. Then each call-out is copied in place and moved to the relevant location on the plan and the call-outs and text are spaced evenly etc. with the space evenly tools. I don't really want a schedule until Chief's schedules are way more flexible.

And of course any manual list can be saved to the library to modify for each plan. Very easy and more importantly, very flexible.

it would be clearer with a video :)   .....I'm thinking you are mostly right.... and I don't know this method

Perry,

I agree with you but OTOH with a Schedule you have to save the notes to the Library and catalog them - otherwise you are always re-entering on every project.  I'm trying to figure out a way to copy a set of notes as a whole, but the only way I can think of doing that is to have each "note" in a CAD Detail with the Note Schedule(s). 

Thanks Larry , appreciate you taking the time to do that for me , like you I Remodel ,and I like that idea especially for smaller jobs like a Bathroom Only Job and it's a great Option if there is room on the Plan Sheet to work with. It's is always good to see how other Remodellers do Stuff , which isn't always the typical  New Home Builds way.

Thanks Larry , appreciate you taking the time to do that for me , like you I Remodel ,and I like that idea especially for smaller jobs like a Bathroom Only Job and it's a great Option if there is room on the Plan Sheet to work with. It's is always good to see how other Remodellers do Stuff , which isn't always the typical  New Home Builds way.

No problem Mick, I appreciate your feedback.

• 7 months later...

hmmm., cant get the plant schedule working in a cad detail (my site plan).

I've copy and pasted my plant/callout (note number and note title) and schedule from my 1st level .plan file to my cad detail.

problem:

the plant and callout wont show up.  why?

apart from that option "A" the plant schedule method for notes works pretty darn well...

as long as you dont want to show ... plants !.  darn.

so question 2 is, how are you all getting around that one? 2 different .plan files??

cheers,

Bernie

I usually keep my plan notes on the plan, never had a problem, and I have separate plan notes for each floor.

Although your's should show, is that layer turned and on a separate custom layer?

#2, that's the problem, but I never use a real  plant schedule anyway. Until Chief gives us custom Schedules, it's a problem.

hmmm., cant get the plant schedule working in a cad detail (my site plan).

I've copy and pasted my plant/callout (note number and note title) and schedule from my 1st level .plan file to my cad detail.

problem:

the plant and callout wont show up.  why?

apart from that option "A" the plant schedule method for notes works pretty darn well...

as long as you dont want to show ... plants !.  darn.

so question 2 is, how are you all getting around that one? 2 different .plan files??

cheers,

Bernie

I agree with Perry, keep the notes in the plan.  Problem is that you're trying to move a 3D symbol (your plant/note) to a CAD detail. 

With regard to the second part of your question, there are a number of solutions, but the 3 easiest methods that come to mind...

1.  If you create your notes on a per floor basis, create an extra floor of your plan and place all your plants on that floor.  Just use reference floor settings to show the plants on the lower floor(s) or overlap views sent to layout.

2.  Use a different schedule.  The plant schedule isn't the only one you can use.  You can use a furniture schedule, a fixture schedule, an electrical schedule, cabinet schedule, and now even a framing schedule, all of which have multiple options for objects to display.  I for example never use exterior furniture, and if I do I definitely don't need a schedule for it, so I can create a furniture schedule, set it to display only exterior furniture, and use that for my notes. 

3.  If you create your notes on a per plan basis AND you are using every single schedule possible AND displaying every object type possible.  Its still possible but trickier.  You essentially have to create an extra floor or series of floors and use layer sets and reference sets.  Its not quite as difficult as it sounds, but definitely a  last resort.  If it got to this, it might be faster and easier to just create your notes using text and callouts...unless you have a ton of notes in which case the extra floors method might actually be faster.    

Use a different schedule. The plant schedule isn't the only one you can use. You can use a furniture schedule, a fixture schedule, an electrical schedule, cabinet schedule, and now even a framing schedule, all of which have multiple options for objects to display.

This is new in X8 only. b/c of more use of labels.