Dome Ceiling

RobUSMC

Go to solution Solved by yusuf-333,

Has anyone ever inserted a dome ceiling?  See photo.  I tried using a polyline circle and converted to hole in ceiling which cut my hole fine.  I found a geometric dome shape in the library that I thought I could sit it on top to get the look.  However the dome has a bottom so that was a no go.

post-180-0-37488600-1435170243_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-79760100-1435170254_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever inserted a dome ceiling?  See photo.  I tried using a polyline circle and converted to hole in ceiling which cut my hole fine.  I found a geometric dome shape in the library that I thought I could sit it on top to get the look.  However the dome has a bottom so that was a no go.

Great question.  I think the way this will be built is a hole is framed.  And then the builder will have a FOAM dome that he will mount in there.  So......   you need to think about using SOLIDS......  DO NOT USE PSOLIDS.  

Form a half dome SOLID and put that in a square SOLID  (the square solid is bigger),  and then subtract the half dome SOLID from the cube SOLID,  you will end up with a CUBE that has the dome carved out of it.

.........FYI - in projects i've had domed ceilings, i've found it more practical to spec out a pre-manufactured system (you can custom size).

http://www.archwaysandceilings.com/dome-ceiling/

Possible so,  I used the foam domed ceiling in my own bathroom.....  an off the shelf dome would not work....  the profile etc was to match the tub in the bathroom therefore it had to be custom.  Cost about 5000.00.

I also worked on a project where we had a dome over a piano in a piano room,  again we used the foam that was custom shaped... do  not remember the cost of that one.

I think you can make any kind of dome from the ceiling it self, am I missing some thing?

I found a quick very rough work around.  I used the "Awning (Rounded Dome) from the core library, flipped it up on end, sized it for half the radius, made a copy and joined them together, made it a block then sat it on top of the hole I have in the ceiling.  Crude but it did work.

post-180-0-32877700-1435173505_thumb.jpg

• Solution

You are probably not missing anything....  but as they say,  model it as they would build it.

Scott, sure it should be so. constructibility? But you must be creating even highly decorated domes in ca, though size of the symbol could be relatively large in such symbols.

post-2517-0-10200500-1435189813_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-30218800-1435189919_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-70853900-1435189934_thumb.jpg

dome ceiling.calibz

That was I was asking for ways that it could be done.   I know how to build (frame) a dome ceiling.  I just didn't know how to create one in CA. In fact for this project the dome ceiling is already there but I need to show it in the as built because it will remain in place.  thanks