Door & Window Numbering "Again"

ACADuser

OK I have a 3 story condo, units A & B

I have created a schedule for door & another for windows on "Floor one plan" for each  unit as the units are in separate Plan files & one Layout file.

GC wants all items to have separate numbers, so I did that.

CA has a way of not numbering as I want numbered! I want the table sorted by floor first of all.

So I activate the table & drag items around to group them by floor. I think this is the only way we can change the numbers or position in the table, right?

Then I see the block wall 1st floor doors have wood headers in the list so I open the dbx for those & eliminate the header.

Well kiss my grits, CA must think I don't know what I want as it rearranged the table for me.

Again I drag items around to sort buy floors.

Now I want front door as #1 and then all exterior doors. Then inside the front door I work my way through the unit arranging numbers as I like.

OK now I want to doe floor 2 & then 3.

But switching to floor 2 i can not longer get to the table as it is back on floor one.

What would be workable is to have a split screen with the table in one window & the 2nd floor in the other.

Is there a way to do that?  Please tell me there is.

In my opinion you should be able to renumber by dragging one label to another & they would swap numbers.

This would make things a lot faster for me that is.

This CA method is very clumsy IMO.

Number the doors and windows individually via the labels.  

Put the door and window schedule in a cad detail and put it where ever you want it...  IOW ,  do not put schedule in plan but put it in a cad detail.

The GC does not want two D01 or W01 in the plan

So one schedule is needed correct?

So you create the schedule in floor one & then make it a block?

Not sure I am getting this. The CAD detail is unfamiliar territory for me at this time. Still lot's to learn.

Not sure I am getting this. The CAD detail is unfamiliar territory for me at this time. Still lot's to learn.

I think the reason they are suggesting this is so the schedule doesn't update automatically (breaking the link).  Also, I think they are saying you need to hand input this data...there isn't an automatic feature in getting this done.  

Im curious why the GC wants it like this....

The 1st Floor Schedule would be D1 resulting in numbers D101, D102, D103, etc

The 2nd Floor Schedule would be D2 resulting in numbers D201, D202, D203, etc

No, just create an empty CAD Detail Window and create the Schedules there instead of in the Floor Plan

I think the reason they are suggesting this is so the schedule doesn't update automatically.  Also, I think they are saying you need to hand input this data...there isn't an automatic feature in getting this done.

Wrong, the Schedules will still update automatically.  It just make is easier to arrange and send to Layout.  This makes it possible to send the Schedules (or anything else) to Layout separately from the Floor Plan.  CAD Detail Windows are just like Elevations, Sections, etc in that respect.  It also makes it easier to organize the data in the Plan File by names which appear in the Project Browser.

You can copy and paste schedules into the CAD Detail window too , and at least for me the Number system in the CAD Detail seems to work better/display better but I am not sure what the difference is with numbering in CAD vs Plan , though in the one I did this morning the Plant schedule totally rearranged itself on copy and pasting ,and the Plan view renumbered itself to match.

M.

It is not a good idea to Copy/Paste Schedules - unless you delete the original.  Otherwise you can get double labels in the Plan.

Yep , that's exactly what I did Joe , went back to plan view and deleted the Schedule there so I didn't get the double numbering  issue which I was aware of from other posts.

I should of noted that above....

M.

• 4 months later...

Also, to help the estimator get a rough estimate for some plumbing and electrical fixtures (which I don't label on the plans), I create a shorter consolidated schedule showing fewer line items by not showing their locations (floor and room). I do this by copy/paste the schedule, add "TOTALS" to schedule name, change the label to "(original)T-1(generated #)" by adding "T-1" after the existing label, and not showing the floor and room. This generates an item number that shows it is a total "T" and starts the numbering at "100" to separate these grouped items from the items on the full schedule showing the items' location.

On a large multi-floor home this may be appreciated by the estimator.

It is not a good idea to Copy/Paste Schedules - unless you delete the original.  Otherwise you can get double labels in the Plan.

A reason for putting the schedules in a CAD detail.  You can copy and  post the cad detail/schedule on every sheet of the  plans with no problems.

A reason for putting the schedules in a CAD detail.  You can copy and  post the cad detail/schedule on every sheet of the  plans with no problems.

Yep, send the CAD Detail Schedule to Layout and then copy it to any Layout Page you want.  All Live Schedules - change the Plan and the Schedule is updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, I was off sleighing dragons.
Well, maybe just putting out fires.

I have another job that need room numbering as well as doors & windows.
That is what brought me back to this thread.

As for Chief desires, how about:

Manual and automatic renumbering with these options / check boxes
Horizontal - "Left to Right" or "Right to Left"
Vertical - "Top to Bottom" or "Bottom to Top"
Use Letters or Numbers
Skip I an O option if letters.
Add Prefix and Suffix fields
Start number or Letter field

Edit the number directly in the table, this will auto resort the table & renumber accordingly
Same with Tags,  this will auto resort the table & renumber accordingly
Edit any field directly from the table
Select an item in the tab;e & option to Zoom to it in the Drawing.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

OK here is the deal, i need a Room Name and a Room Number.

These should be separate fields so I can change the room number but leave the room name as is.

I know Joe has some wiz-bang Ruby scripts to do this but I don't have time to learn Ruby today.

This would even be handy in a very large home.  You may have more than one Hall Bath.

Alan, There is no magic way to Number Rooms. Even with my knowledge of Ruby I can't do it.

I have asked (repeatedly) that Chief add Room Numbers.

Here's the workaround for now: In the Room Name Field add the Number in Front such as:
101 - Entry
102 - Living Room
103 - Dining Room
etc.

The above would all be on the first floor. For the second floor I use 201, 201,203, etc.

If Chief had the following fields:
floor_number
room_number

schedule_number

then I could create a simple macro to Label the Rooms which could be placed in the Default Label.