Detail Callouts in Schedules

Joe_Carrick

I've always used Detail Callouts/References in my Door & Window Schedules for Head, Jamb & Sill.

To do this with Chief is a PITB since I need custom columns and then have to enter the reference data in the "Components" dbx. 

In addition, I have to manually check the Layout to make sure I reference the correct detail.

There must be an easier way.

More seriously, while this system has been used frequently, I think it is a not a great way to reference door & window details because it is very hard to cross-reference. I believe (and most of the architectural production gurus seem to concur) that any non-standard conditions should be referenced off of the elevations.

Richard,

The cross-referencing should not be an issue.  It should simply be a matter of a "link" to a CAD Detail and the Sheet Number in the Layout where that CAD Detail is located.  Chief has all the information it needs for accurate cross-referencing. 

BTW, if CA were to provide the attribute for the Layout Sheet and allow macros in Schedules I could in fact do accurate cross referencing.  :P

Richard,

The cross-referencing should not be an issue.

Let me put it another way. To even check the reference, you have to verify first where the door/window is by looking at the plan or elevation, and then make sure that you've referenced the right detail. Why add those extra steps when you can just put a reference bubble on the elevation? This is a system that is set up to make referencing tedious and prone to errors. And in general, it buys you very little extra information in the residential world. In a commercial project that might have several types of metal door jambs, I could see it, but I would only reference a particular TYPE of profile (like Type "A"), not a location on the plans, which has a VERY high possibility of typographical error and future change. It creates additional potential liability. Only a masochistic architect would institute this type of schedule.

• Downvote 1

Richard,

I might agree with the masochistic architect part.  ;)

But let me put this another way.

Reference bubbles on the Elevations are just another set of references in addition to the Door Callout..  You would still need to enter the correct data in those bubbles.

OTOH, If I select a Door or Window and open the Component dbx

a.  Select the Sub Category Description field.

b.  assuming the there was a way to pick a CAD Detail (maybe in the Project Browser) and have the View Name and Layout Page automatically filled in.

c.  That data was automatically reflected in the Schedule Column

Then there would be no discrepancies in the reference and a lot cleaner elevations.

ps:  I don't do just small residences.  Some of my work is commercial but even with custom homes I can have several different conditions for Door and Window Details.

One of the reasons I use Archicad for CDs is the automatic referencing feature. You can create a detail bubble and point it to a specific detail, and the reference will be forever correct and updated, even if you move the detail to a different layout page and different position on the page. 

That said, even with a full page of door details in Chief, with labeling like "Threshold at Front Door" or "Pocket Door Jamb", is a schedule reference to that detail REALLY necessary?

With you 100% on this one, Richard. What else do think is crucial in order for you to do CDs in Chief as opposed to Archi?

A more robust detail management system, where the details that are stored in the library remember their scale, and can be placed directly into layout at the correct size, correctly titled with the scale shown.