Material List not updating

DeveloSpec

Yes it does refresh the materials list, say you change a wall, that changes the materials list, come on, really. F12 reframes walls floor and ceilings and that changes the materials list. By the way---not crazy, my analyst told me so.

Yes it does refresh the materials list, say you change a wall, that changes the materials list, come on, really. F12 reframes walls floor and ceilings and that changes the materials list. By the way---not crazy, my analyst told me so.

Agreed...  And I never use the material list either...  And I'm not crazy either, even though my wife thinks so... 

I personally don't use the material list but, if it's anything like schedules… it will no longer update once converted to text.

Also, if you must choose to GENERATE material list it would seem that it would not be an auto update type thing. What's the problem with just regenerating the list once you're ready??

@DRAWZILLA.. it does not update automatically.. youhave to close the open material list and generate a new one.

But if you have anything that you added to the material list..such as prices.. additional notes etc.  that all will be lost once you regenerate the material list.

The objective is to have the material list update automatically without having to close it and create a new one.....(thus saving all manaul data)

I have not recently read the Reference Manual data about Materials list features and functions but as I recall, each Materials List is just for that moment in time when it was created. So, just like framing does not automatically update as Architectural changes are done (3D) in order to get an updated ML one would create a new Materials List in a NEW unit of time which will be accurate for the moment of time it is created in.Materials Lists are so programmed and work in exactly that way and not perhaps as we might want them to.

It measures what you tell it to measure in the moment you tell it to. If you then make additional changes you must make a new ML, that is the way it is designed to work.

DJP

@Kilgore. i have checked all videos on "material list" and it does not explain much about using the master list.  But as far as I know, it will only save prices, and not 100% of the data that may be entered manually.

It is very stupid..because what if I have a saved material list that I have modfied, added fields, text, data, notes.. etc..and then I need to go back to the plan and move a wall..or add a fixture... then we have to start from the beginning and enter 95% of the manual data again..manually!!  There should at the very least be a refresh button that will update the existing material list.

@David Potter, I believe you are correct, as it may seems.. becuase I have tried everything I can think of to get the material list to update in real time.

This is blasphemy!!

• Upvote 1

@Drawzilla,, did you get this to work without having to create a new material list?  I have tried F12 but that does not update it.

I have the plan and the material list open in split view.

please send details.

If you say that f12 doesn't update the materials list, I believe you, but it should because it updates the plan. Say you change the floor joists to 2x12 from 2x10, are you saying the floor joists don't change in the materials list.?  Remember I never use the materials list, but if that is broken then No-one should use it ever. It may not update if its open.

Have a look at the  "Components" dbx for each item. (Just about all objects have a components dbx.) Enter your data there, & it will be included in every materials list you generate. Learn how to create a Master List & how to update from/to.  Using  components & master list you should get what you want- for the most part. lotta work to set up & get off the ground but, once you have it..........

post-120-0-82289400-1396656110_thumb.jpg

@Drawzilla,

I am not sure what F12 is supposed to do, but it does nothing for me.

If I have a plan open AND the material list open in split view...and then I change a wall size, or add a window.. and then I press F12, it does NOT update the open material list.

I would have to close the existing material list, and then open a NEW material list. This defeats the purpose of saving an already existing material list because it can not be modified.

@ebdesign.. it sounds like the Master List is the solution.  thanks.

I don't know about the materials list but F12 rebuilds walls floors and ceilings and you would think it also changes the materials list. If you have changed any of that stuff its a good idea to hit f12 to rebuild those things.