Down Staircase

JayeGo

Hi. My first time writing on Chief Talk ---   I'm working on a kitchen that has a staircase going up and and next to it has a staircase going down.  I have no problem showing the "up" staircase.  But, can not create a "down" staircase adjacent to it.  I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that this is a single level space, but not sure what to do about it.  Also, i never created a 2nd fl but the "up" staircase works fine.  Do i need to create a lower level for the down staircase to work?  How do I do this in the simplest way since I will not be showing any other levels?

Thanks!

But, can not create a "down" staircase adjacent to it.  I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that this is a single level space, but not sure what to do about it.

You got it.

• Auto build a basement.
  • Stairs need to start from the up position.
  • Keep in mind that you'll need to have an "open to below" of level one to allow the stairs to appear in the floor plan. (Do this by creating an area which is either surround by walls, railings, or an invisible wall.)

You got it.

• Auto build a basement.
  • Stairs need to start from the up position.
  • Keep in mind that you'll need to have an "open to below" of level one to allow the stairs to appear in the floor plan. (Do this by creating an area which is either surround by walls, railings, or an invisible wall.)

Thanks!  Where or how do i create the "open to below" area that is surrounded by walls/invisible wall?  

To create an open to below...

1. Draw four walls around the stair going down on your first floor.
  2. Click on the space and designate it as "open to below" using the dialogue box.

Use your floor reference tool to see the stairs below. It's easier to draw the walls (or railings) around the stair case this way.

The stairs and walls from floor above or floor below will be highlighted in red. See attached pic.

All the best,  Val

post-77-0-76519700-1434897469_thumb.jpg

Yes ... you need a floor below to get your stairs down if you are doing any 3D camera work to go with your design.  If only working in 2D plan views, you could "fake it" with CAD lines etc.  Chief likes to for us to draw stairs from the current level to the level above.  Chief has an "auto stairwell" tool that creates your opening through the floor nicely "IF" you have the floor above already built .... otherwise it will tell you it can't find it.

Chief does allow us to draw stairs going down to the next level as noted in the manual (F1 - Help):

To draw stairs going downward

1. Select Build> Stairs> Straight Stairs .

2. Hold down the Alt key or the right mouse button.

3. Click and drag to create straight stairs.

When drawing stairs or ramps from a floor platform to the terrain, or vice versa, they will locate the height of the terrain as long as it is lower than the floor height. You can also create a landing or “room” outside the structure and use it to establish the bottom height of the stairs or ramp. Then, draw in an upward direction from the lower platform to the upper platform.

I selected "open below" but When I look at my down staircase in perspective, I have no floor.   I'm certain I am doing something wrong, just not sure how to keep my floor and still create a basement level for my staircase to go down to?

The simplest way to draw a down stair is to Alt drag the stair - it goes down instead of up. 

That works great in plan, but unfortunately not in perspective.  Easy suggestion?

If the floor your working from is Floor 1, just create your basement by building the foundation level, setting your floor structure, ceiling height and stem wall heights as needed.  Then you could build your stairs from either level as discussed.  If you get your basement built OK, and you're building the stairs from Floor 0, turn on your Reference Floor Display and you should be able to place your stairs pretty close to where you need it located.  All this stuff can be researched in the manual (F1).

you may have misunderstood ?...open below means no floor..... it's how you "cut the hole" in the floor for the staircase.

I find that down staircases are not handled as well by CA as UP staircases for whatever reason ,  and with Up Staircases you can use Auto Stairwell and it will cut the hole and do any railing etc needed automatically

Drawing stairs in a 3D view is probably doable but not advisable , place them in 2D Plan views. 

here is a quick plan for you to look at :

Staircase Practice Plan.plan