Built-Up Moldings

skinner

Does anyone know of an easy way to create a built-up molding.  ie..reversed base and then crown?  In an effort to create a new variation on a existing molding, I tried copying moldings using B/C. cross section... cad detail from view... and then copy the molding profile.  But I can't get the molding profile to convert to a polyline.  And so I'm forced to CAD the crown profile.  Not the end of the world, but not easy. 

What Denis said... but the way I do it which is much faster because you eliminate all that copying over, I go into the library pick moulding profile, right click on it and select Place Moulding Profile... Bring all the profiles I need into a section view and stack them any which way you can, you can break them up and modify any which way you can, etc when got the look you need, block them and add to your library.

Here is an image to give you an ides

post-4069-0-07496000-1434809318_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Greg - OK I am having trouble getting it to work. What camera views do you do this in? I have tried plan but it does not show up when trying to add it to a molding polyline. In section view it does not seem to place. Obviously I am doing something wrong!

I often do what greg does. But if there need to be a lot of changes and I have the actual dimensions of the molding I convert a pdf to png, bring that in, size it, lock the layer.

Then start with a pline box. That allows me to set the points to the dimensions then change what need be to curves and angles.

I always stack individual moldings on a molding pline and offset there, easier to deal with client changes. So I started to keep a plan file with an assortment of straight molding plines set to different heights. Copy from that into a plan,paste and edit to fit cabinets.

Thanks Curt , funny how something as simple as US and International Spelling of a word or even the addition of a "s" effects the results of the search.... 

Int.                 US               US w/ S

ie : moulding  vs  molding  vs  moldings

2                 14                 26              results....

think this is the one no#397

http://video.chiefarchitect.com/player/player.php?id=890&th=1&autoplay=