Question about selling plans to home builders

Dilbert

Thant's actually a good Idea! I could host a user group meeting there. 3 and 1/2 bathrooms with lots of beds. My wife could do the cookin. Everyone would have to pitch in a little with $$$ for the food and utilities. We could do it in the summer and have a nighttime lake cruse in the tri-tune boat and go have a nice dinner in town. 

Joey,  you set it up when you are ready.  maybe for a few nights one weekend.  Absolutely we can chip in $$ for the essentials.  This could really be fun.  When I was up in Michigan in May,  and we hooked up with Jim Lawes,  he took us out on his boat on Torch Lake,  it was a real treat.

That sounds great Joey,  I am up for it.  

Joey,  you set it up when you are ready.  maybe for a few nights one weekend.  Absolutely we can chip in $$ for the essentials.  This could really be fun.  When I was up in Michigan in May,  and we hooked up with Jim Lawes,  he took us out on his boat on Torch Lake,  it was a real treat.

That sounds great Joey,  I am up for it.  

I will talk to my better half and see what she thinks. Do you think this summer would be good or next summer because the Idaho meeting is in September? If this year I was thinking August. But this year could be too busy and too short notice. Not sure at this point.

I will talk to my better half and see what she thinks. Do you think this summer would be good or next summer because the Idaho meeting is in September? If this year I was thinking August. But this year could be too busy and too short notice. Not sure at this point.

Next year might be better. But let's not forget.

strange non licensed persons can place plans into the authorities in this period of time, and even stranger is that it seems to be in the US (or maybe not so strange thinking about it further.) 

BS (British Standards) seem to be world wide, and licensed Architect/Draftsmen and Engineers must submit signed plans to the authorities for approval. 

yes mate, your pricing doesn't sound correct, but many factors have to be considered.

of which i would agree with Michael from Alaska,

i have attached some PDF docs for all to check out, which might be of some interest or help to you guys.

and please forward to others who may be up and coming into the profession.

have a great weekend all. 

and guys have fun up in the mountains. sounds to cold for me though

THE FUTURE FOR ARCHITECTS.PDF

Architectural Priceing.pdf

Good info, thaks

I'm late to this thread but here in Florida I charge $1.00 per square foot under roof per floor as a ball park for most houses.

As a designer I have a Structural Engineer certify the structural elements of the design & they charge me $250 to $400 depending on size & complexity of the house.

Under 1200 sq feet, remodels & over 4000 sq ft require pricing per job.

If the house has special requirements the ball park pricing does not work.

Good info, thaks

I'm late to this thread but here in Florida I charge $1.00 per square foot under roof per floor as a ball park for most houses.

As a designer I have a Structural Engineer certify the structural elements of the design & they charge me $250 to $400 depending on size & complexity of the house.

Allan,

Now I'm a little curios. So if you did a 600 sq. ft. room addition you would charge $600.00 for the architectural drawings and 250 or 400 for structural engineering. How much time would you put into measuring the job and preparing the plans and the running around time? After your answer I will follow up with what I would get out here in California for the same thing.

Like I said

So all housing jobs have a minimum pricing of $1000.00

Although I do some "Drafting" jobs that do not require engineering for as little as $400 for a sheet or two.

Like a Garbage area Gate I did. But Remodels & houses never get below $1000 as they are too much work.

Joey,

All prices nationwide are so very different, depending on where you are. I would starve using Alan prices, and his engineering prices are way low for California. The only way to find out what to charge ,is to go locally and find out what your competition is charging. Check it out in your neighborhood. Prices also change in the same state.

Like I said

So all housing jobs have a minimum pricing of $1000.00

Although I do some "Drafting" jobs that do not require engineering for as little as $400 for a sheet or two.

Like a Garbage area Gate I did. But Remodels & houses never get below $1000 as they are too much work.

That make sense. I didn't read your post correctly. As Perry said that prices are a lot different out here. I'm not fishing for what I should be charging just interested in the comparison in your area to California. But your system of charging is the same as mine but the only difference is it would be about double your cost out here in California. Some could even be more. I think im to cheap sometimes.

Thank you Alan